Ohlins fork seals

Chuck

I can tell you from first hand experience Chuck the brake levers are able to be bent back into shape. A little heating with the old soap and propane torch and it will go right back into position.

Nice how to BTW. 

Ciao

The chicken enjoying a little acrobatic flight..

32812728311_73fc5c7a8c_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-53-37 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

I can tell you a little about tapered bearings. Aircraft use them, and at every annual inspection, one of the requirements is to remove, inspect, and repack the wheel bearings.

So. Wipe up what's left of Luigi's packing job, and give it a good cleaning in the solvent tank. Blow it off. Yes, you can make the bearing spin with air pressure. Avoid that temptation. :oldgit: I've been told that you can get it spinning fast enough for centrifugal force to blow it up in your hand. I don't know that, but I've never tempted fate. 

Now that is cleaned, you can inspect it with your 10x glass.

32093519244_29b698fe67_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-52-16 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

What you are looking for are very small flats on the rollers called brinelling. See any? It's toast..

Ok, the bearing has been inspected.. no need for a new one. Time to pack it. Put a gob in your hand, take the bearing in your other, and repeatedly smack the bearing into the grease. It will take a *lot* more than you think. :rasta: Some mechanics push and slide the bearing against their hand. Both methods work.

Just smearing grease on the outside is useless.

32936959005_46bef69603_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-52-35 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

You'll see hydraulic pressure force the grease into the bearing, and it will come out the top. Continued whatever method you are doing, while rotating the bearing around until every time you smack it into your hand, grease will come out the top. Wipe off the excess, and you are done.

Yes, there are commercial bearing packers, but there is a certain satisfaction in doing it the old fashioned way. :luigi:

For the bottom triple, just do the best you can. I put a bead of grease all around the bearing, and tappety tap/smear, trying to push grease through the bearing.

32936969775_66338c5e8d_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-53-07 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Patience is it's own reward, they tell me. At any rate, you'll eventually get it done.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could invent a Guzzi lower triple bearing packer? I think they all use the same bearing...

• Like 2

The chicken enjoying a little acrobatic flight..

32812728311_73fc5c7a8c_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-53-37 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

I can tell you a little about tapered bearings. Aircraft use them, and at every annual inspection, one of the requirements is to remove, inspect, and repack the wheel bearings.

So. Wipe up what's left of Luigi's packing job, and give it a good cleaning in the solvent tank. Blow it off. Yes, you can make the bearing spin with air pressure. Avoid that temptation. :oldgit: I've been told that you can get it spinning fast enough for centrifugal force to blow it up in your hand. I don't know that, but I've never tempted fate. 

Now that is cleaned, you can inspect it with your 10x glass.

32093519244_29b698fe67_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-52-16 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

What you are looking for are very small flats on the rollers called brinelling. See any? It's toast..

Ok, the bearing has been inspected.. no need for a new one. Time to pack it. Put a gob in your hand, take the bearing in your other, and repeatedly smack the bearing into the grease. It will take a *lot* more than you think. :rasta: Some mechanics push and slide the bearing against their hand. Both methods work.

Just smearing grease on the outside is useless.

32936959005_46bef69603_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-52-35 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

You'll see hydraulic pressure force the grease into the bearing, and it will come out the top. Continued whatever method you are doing, while rotating the bearing around until every time you smack it into your hand, grease will come out the top. Wipe off the excess, and you are done.

Yes, there are commercial bearing packers, but there is a certain satisfaction in doing it the old fashioned way. :luigi:

For the bottom triple, just do the best you can. I put a bead of grease all around the bearing, and tappety tap/smear, trying to push grease through the bearing.

32936969775_66338c5e8d_c.jpg2017-02-16_11-53-07 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Patience is it's own reward, they tell me. At any rate, you'll eventually get it done.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could invent a Guzzi lower triple bearing packer? I think they all use the same bearing...

You took me back 40 years Chuck to my time as a second year apprentice doing my 3 month stint in "wheels and brakes" working in the bearing shop, washing, inspecting and relubing 747 mainwheel bearings. They were somewhat larger Timken tapered rollers though:)

Ciao