Discontinued...

Scud

While getting my order together with Harpers and checking status, learned about 2 parts that are no longer available from Moto Guzzi. One trivial, one important.

The trivial one - the plastic T that holds all the warning lights. You know that white T-shaped things that can't seem to hold the threaded inserts and just crumbles when you take it apart? No more of those... This is not too much trouble as they can be repaired with various epoxies, bondo, glues, etc. and they don't have to look good since they are hidden inside the instrument cluster.

The important one - the shift pawl spring. I had ordered a full set of springs for the pre-selector on my project. And when I called recently, I learned that the lack of a pawl spring was holding up my whole order. I happened to talk to Curtis Harper - he said that as soon as he learned they were discontinued he set about having a replacement made. I'm sure most of us have a spare spring tucked away somewhere already. But Harpers will have aftermarket springs in stock soon.

Thanks Chuck - I bought springs from MG Cycle before, but I had an order going with Harpers already. Interesting that MG Cycle's description calls it an "updated shift return spring." Maybe they've already had some made too.

Hmmm... seems like MG Cycle, and now Harpers, and I'm sure others to follow are just having springs made up since Moto Guzzi is no longer making them. 

False alarm... nothing more to see here... except those little plastic T's may be hard to find in future.  :whistle:

Admitting this might release a bunch of voodoo. As I have yet to replace a pawl spring but, I had one tucked away deep in my tail storage and it sat for so long and through so many rains it actually rusted up pretty good.

Wondering if I should replace this talisman or just add another one coated in oil?

...I had one tucked away deep in my tail storage and it sat for so long and through so many rains it actually rusted up pretty good.

Wondering if I should replace this talisman or just add another one coated in oil?

I've had a couple of broken springs examined.

The experts tell me that in both cases the springs broke at a place where they were damaged before installation, probably at manufacture.

A tiny scratch or a corrosion pit in a stressed area causes a fatigue crack, which eventually breaks.

One spring had a scratch which I expect was made by the wire bending jig at manufacture, the other had a row of pits along its length, as though the spring wire lay on a wet area before it was bent.

If you have a rusty spring, then I expect that it will still work for an emergency repair, but have a shorter life when installed before it breaks than a shiny new one, depending on how deep the rust goes.

It is still good as a talisman though. :D

I'm thinking of finding some better spring wire, and making a jig to make a batch of longer life springs. It will probably not happen till this coming winter (July in southern hemisphere) . Anybody want one to try?

• Like 2

While getting my order together with Harpers and checking status, learned about 2 parts that are no longer available from Moto Guzzi. One trivial, one important.

The trivial one - the plastic T that holds all the warning lights. You know that white T-shaped things that can't seem to hold the threaded inserts and just crumbles when you take it apart? No more of those... This is not too much trouble as they can be repaired with various epoxies, bondo, glues, etc. and they don't have to look good since they are hidden inside the instrument cluster.

I suppose it's the T-shaped part with Guzzi Code GU 02766300 you're talking about? You can buy it at Stein-Dinse for € 17.18.

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Complete-partlist/Unsorted/Indicator-light-box-Cal-EV::2463.html

• Like 1

Admitting this might release a bunch of voodoo. As I have yet to replace a pawl spring but, I had one tucked away deep in my tail storage and it sat for so long and through so many rains it actually rusted up pretty good.

Mine broke at 13k mi. Lucky for me less than 2 mi from home and in 2nd gear. When it goes whatever gear you're shifting from is the gear you have till it's repaired. It was such an easy repair that I did my other LM right away. The pawl arm boss was too large in both bikes, and investigating the one that hadn't broken yet, it was clear the spring was in a tight bind when shifting. My bosses were, I believe, 16+ mm, and they should be 15. The new arm I got was 15mm and using it did not replicate the binding. The other one I did, I just filed the boss down just below 15. The repair "can" be done roadside, but I'd rather not. You'll need a small kit of tools to carry, along with your new spring, and a new 15mm boss pawl arm, OR a small file.

The 'other' great thing about doing it preemptively in the shop is, you can ease and finesse the contact points of the spring and hopefully prevent another fail.

The other- other great thing is you get to do the complete Lucky Phil shift upgrade!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

uh-oh.  i just had the one spare one i had installed last year.  i'm currently hunting for the foot peg spring.  you don't really think about how important that thing is til your peg flips up and your foot can't find it when you start moving again.  i've ordered one for the Breva because the pegs look the same and the V11 spring is discontinued.  i already tried an Aprilia one that looked the same but turned out to be a thicker gauge wire and so it wouldn't fit the peg.  for months now i've just had a zip-tie keeping the peg from being able to jump up on its own again.

uh-oh.  i just had the one spare one i had installed last year.  i'm currently hunting for the foot peg spring.  you don't really think about how important that thing is til your peg flips up and your foot can't find it when you start moving again.  i've ordered one for the Breva because the pegs look the same and the V11 spring is discontinued.  i already tried an Aprilia one that looked the same but turned out to be a thicker gauge wire and so it wouldn't fit the peg.  for months now i've just had a zip-tie keeping the peg from being able to jump up on its own again.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19908&p=220400

Get one of the Ducati Monster footpegs sets from eBay. Under $10. Has springs in it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-Front-Footrest-Foot-Pegs-For-DUCATI-Monster-696-796-2009-2014-10-11-/221714910393?fits=Make%3ADucati%7CModel%3AMonster+796&hash=item339f3d0cb9%3Ag%3Ay14AAOxyf1dTH~1V