clutch slave

andy york

hope everyone got a little ride in today.

I would have cept when I went to leave ...no clutch.

anyone found replacement seals for the Grimco slave cylinder 

on the back of the tranny?

First glance at MG cycle doesn't show anything.

I reckon 120k on original is not to bad 

Oh well .... still digging 

andy

Do you think you can disassemble & reassemble this slave cylinder w/o needing any replacement parts ? ANY foriegn material can cause a leak so bad you can't keep fluid in the hydraulic system . The rubber components might be o.k. and you could get by with a clean-up.

wish it where that easy.

already disassembled- won't hold pressure-pushing a little fluid past the seals.

kinda of a odd little fellow...has a round o-ring and a flat/square shaped o-ring similar 

to a brake caliper..

ah hah   maybe I'll measure some brake pistons in the morn   lol

Andy - I have the one my champagne project available. It had 50,000 miles, but the piston surface got corroded. I haven't disassembled it, but maybe the seals are still good. I'll be home Wednesday and can take a look if you haven't found new seals by then. If I recall correctly, Dangerous had to replace those seals - you might search his threads.

The top one is this photo is the one I mentioned - it sat idle for a few years too. You can see the rust on the piston and small chrome part it touches.

IMG_5755.jpg

The bottom one was salvaged from my parts bike - and I plan to use that one. I can probably pop the pistons out of both on Wednesday evening - and we'll see if something can work for you.

You gonna put in a new throwout bearing while you're there?

had not planned on it. I went in through the backside. Tranny still bolted up....although I am seriously 

thinking on putting a new clutch and assorted hardware in. 

those clutch disc's have got to be getting thin....

Hmmm.....guess this small headache just turned into some major updating

Thanks for the offer. it looks like a new unit is 60-70 bucks, so I will probably just bite the bullet.

looks like I'm gonna drop some serious coin for the clutch...  lol

Oh well  Fun isn't cheap 

andy

Throwout bearing is cheap - it's just that little roller bearing in my picture. You can get at it when the clutch slave is out. New clutch... well... is it slipping? If not, why replace it?

The clutch is not slipping ....Yet. I know how things in my world usually run .....fix this problem-head out on a trip in a month-clutch starts slipping- have to go back in again. So I will attempt to ward off fate and just do it now. I will be very happy to have 120k out of the OE equipment.

The biggest plus ..it will keep me in the garage and out of the house for awhile :grin:

:race:

andy

Curious to see the amount of wear at the flywheel engagement. Word is I have probably made mine worse with the habit of staying in gear with the clutch lever held in at stops . . .

Otherwise, just friction discs? Not pressure plate/springs/flyweel?

Curious to see the amount of wear at the flywheel engagement. Word is I have probably made mine worse with the habit of staying in gear with the clutch lever held in at stops . . .

The habit of holding the clutch lever in at a stop , will wear the release bearing more than not holding it in at a stop . It is a good idea to return to neutral when at a stop .

The habit of holding the clutch lever in at a stop , will wear the release bearing more than not holding it in at a stop . It is a good idea to return to neutral when at a stop .

And I am given to understand that holding the clutch lever in also lets the clutch discs rattle back and forth in the flywheel?

Mine has gotten really noisy (but more in neutral with the clutch lever out). :huh2: