clutch slave

andy york

You really do think that this tiny square seal could hold back the clutch plate and so be the cause for your clutch problems?

You know what hypochonders are. Hypochonders' favorite are the pharmacies' news magazines with 'Deadly virus detected below the North Pole' and the like. While hypochonders search such magazines, V11 owners search the forums. So you forum flooders have a certain responsibility for them. Think about it.

• Like 1

Well, something's wrong. I am just trying to work through the parts systematically. I thought the slave could use some attention by this point.

We shall see, I suppose . . .

P.S. - It is, of course, the scary V11 flywheel that has all of smack of hypochondaic internetitis. :wacko:

What scary V11 flywheel? Should I be concerned?

Talking about attention: I learned, over the years, that some parts like it dark, no direct daylight.

Hydraulics belong to this tribe. Leave them to the pros, not because "It's Dangerous!!!", it's not, it's because they're sensitive and spares are often hard to get.

I'm finding this out. I'd like to get the hydraulics back together soon. If the trouble persists, I will have to take a look at the clutch, input shaft, and flywheel. I feel certain mine is well knackered from holding the clutch in at stops all these years.

Anybody know of a brake caliper with same sized piston.  (Likely a single pot caliper from the 80's 90's)  If you can find one, preferably a popular bike, you should be able to get that O ring.

It doesn't seem like weak clutch springs would present such a sudden change.

Ariete replied they have nothing for this Grimeca cylinder.

You checked the master cylinder? You wouldn't get spare parts for it either (or was it the brake?), but at least it would help to avoid too much wasted time and efforts.

The clutch of my Greeny has seen over 200.000 km. Splines are worn, steel discs are coloured, friction discs without visible wear. It worked perfectly, probably still would.

I rebuilt the master cylinder at 62,000 miles/ 100.000 km for a broken internal spring (currently ~103,000 miles/ ~167.000 km). At first, I thought this might have occurred again, but the lever moves and returns normally with no fluid in the system. So, it is not likely the spring like before. Thinking it could be the master cylinder seals at fault, I have obtained a rebuild kit for it just in case.

My plan was to address the slave first,  then the master cylinder before resigning myself to remove the gearbox and obtain the necessary clutch parts and replacement flywheel.

For now, I'm carrying on with Andy's clutch slave thread. One main reason is for our community to collectively pursue a reliable solution to the now unavailable part.

In the event that it turns out to not be the source of my failure, I'll bring the discussion elsewhere. At that point, I do hope we will have documented a solution to the NLA clutch slave for those who may need it in the future.

• Like 1

I assume Grimeca is the OEM supplier to Guzzi for the V11 ? Has anyone contacted Grimeca for replacement or NOS parts for the slave cylinder ?

I'll get Grimeca on my to-do list. At this point, I've lost confidence the flat seal is square, or that it can be measured and built. So far I've only managed to chase down a few dead ends.

Thanks for the continued input.

Loved @Swooshdave's comment... get a second bike for parts!!!  Never heard that advice before! :whistle:

Do research on DOT5 fluid.  I have successfully converted all my old british iron to DOT5 without issue!  The incompatible with Rubber is BS.  The trick is to thoroughly flush the entire system with denatured alcohol before doing the change.  There are NO ill effects for DOT5.  Costs a bit more, doesn't eat paint, good temp ranges.  Can you tell I'm a big fan?  (If British hydraulics can work with it , clutch and brakes, it'll work anywhere.)

Lastly, you're confidence in your square seal... as advised several times... put it back together with the old seal... see what happens.  My suspicion, since there was no leaking visible, is that it'll probably be ok.

I'll be out of town this week interviewing Probate attorneys in Little Rock.  Back this weekend if you need someone to put another set of eyes on it or just in case you need a bit of homebrewed Belgian Tripple. (Don't count the X's on the outside of the keg) :grin:

• Like 1