clutch slave

andy york

Ok, I see now that is the same view. 

I'm compromised by not having laid eyes on this personally. Don't get me wrong . . . I don't wanna! :whistle:

So, my concern about the increasing noise in my "clutch" is more likely the gearbox input cog?

I think your "concern" is unfounded. I also think A low idle or high idle is totally irrelevant. Mine has been at about 900 rpm 

for close to 100k of the 120 k on the bike. 

I will say that I avoid traffic and stop and go travel at all costs ( :grin: ). For me, riding is moving and making the odometer 

go roundy round.(ahem) not that anyone here would know anything about that.( sorry....only a couple here know me and will understand that) LMAO.

Anyway  reckon I can move on to other things till the slave cylinder gets here.

And Docc....you may need to visit with your new found computer skills  :notworthy:

I will start a new topic for the next pictures

andy

Andy.. if I were Pete, I'd say that you are luckier than a hilarious simile deleted, :whistle: but he's adamant about low RPM causing spline damage. I, personally,  have seen much worse than yours at less mileage.. so I'll have to disagree.

I'd say a lot of the wear is due to how the bike is used. I'm getting the idea that Andy doesn't sit still long - and looks for long rides with minimal stop-and-go. That would let a clutch last for many more miles than an urban commuter.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, I've (attempted) to follow this guy through our eastern US version of mountain roads.

He doesn't use the clutch. Or the brakes. Or the tires. ThePerfesser is one of those guys that flows through the road-world like some ethereal flame.

If I am The Hammer, he is The Wind.

No wonder my flywheel teeth are knackered and I'm on my 40th tire. :wacko:

Well ....um... Thank you ?  Don't know if I'm all that but I definitely don't fit into 

the poser category.

maybe I will have "something" running by the morn and maybe see ya in the "fork"

andy

Well, all kidding aside, I've ridden with (behind? around?) some really smooth riders and your style is a model of consistency. No doubt, that smoothness is reflected in, not only, the swift flowing pace on the good roads, but also how long your tires and brakes and everything else lasts. I'm pretty hard on all that stuff while I cog up and down, brake, and throttle out of corners.

Planning on getting to The 'Fork in the gentlemanly forenoon, try to catch some breakfast across the street with Josh.

• 4 months later...

Today, my clutch lever suddenly "gave way" slightly and the clutch would not engage. Then, it came back and off I went. In the next ten to fifteen miles it did this several more times: lever pressure would "giveway" (as in: loose lever, no feeling of resistance) and no clutch engagement. Several times, it engaged again suddenly and lurched the bike.

After the last stop, about six miles from home, it has not done it again. I've squeezed and squoze and held and pumped the lever repeatedly in gear, in neutral, and with the bike shut off and it has not repeated.

I'm trying to find Andy York's resolution on his slave cylinder and got distracted by an old thread in *Silly Banter* that Belfastguzzi regaled us with and Ponti ran away with . . . "Two Cows"

I needed a good laugh, but my clutch still has me worried . . .

[EDIT: answered! https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/20037-sticking-clutch/?do=findComment&comment=223175

Tried to ride again today after adjusting the lever for more travel; didn't get a half mile and the lever went limp. I can't seem to get it to do it stationary. Why is that?

Tried to ride again today after adjusting the lever for more travel; didn't get a half mile and the lever went limp. I can't seem to get it to do it stationary. Why is that?

Hydraulics are a Dark Art, they make no sense. I have been struggling with my clutch on my BMW 318Ti  for 6 weeks now, finally threw in the towel and just replaced both clutch master and slave. Now it works.

But it had the same symptoms as yours: it would work fine until suddenly the clutch pedal would go to the floor with no resistance. When it came back up, it would work fine again for 5 minutes or 5 days, until......there it goes again.

In my experience, a failing master or slave will slowly fail, not disengaging until the end of travel in a semi-predictable way, which is why I resisted replacing everything. I thought it was air bubbles, return spring not refilling the master, etc etc, all wrong.

My new theory is that when one goes, it strains the other, so best to replace or rebuild both at the same time.

• Like 1

I dunno. Maybe it's like a fork seal that's been damaged by bug guts, rock chips, etc. The lip gets fragile? Just throwing darts here..

The Grimeca slave cylinder is original to the Sport (103,410 miles/166.790km), master cylinder rebuilt at 62,000 miles/100.000km) for fractured internal spring, and the entire clutch replaced about 4,000 miles from a warranted leak failure/slippage.  Last fluid change/ bleed 4,000 miles ago.

The notably increased clutch/flywheel noise goes back about two years. *Really-notably-increased*.

Probably the easiest thing to do is just change out the hydraulic cylinders, but this idea that the significant wear in the flywheel and clutch disc teeth is telling.

I remember another phrase my trusted friend  :notworthy:  Josh shared with me in the past, "Once and done." :luigi:

It actually looks like  :notworthy: Andy York also took this *Once&Done* approach.

I'm pretty sure I have the worst steel V11 flywheel on the planet. :glare: