ring & pinion gears

andy york

Yeah, even when it is right it can be a bit abrupt.

Way back when, the wife and I used to do BattlTrax (basically AutoCross for motorcycles). The wife was running the course fast, and going into a tight turn she closed the throttle a little too hard. The back end of the bike started to come around, then it caught and highsided her. It was nasty looking, she got some decent height. But she walked away. Even rode the bike home.

So, yeah, it can be a bit abrupt. Even with everything right. Part of that is being a big twin, part is the shaft drive, and part is the fuel injection mapping. Sometimes you just need to feather the clutch.

Good point...man, so sorry that happened to her! Crap!

I have noticed a lot of wear on the tread center with the V11 than my other bikes... even some with way more hp! 

Probably some too due to deceleration on the center going into the corner, and then acceleration out on the straights.

I hardly use the rear brake except for lightly trailing it into a corner to set the rear end on decel.

I bet with all the engine compression braking on decel, there is a lotta raggity wear on the tire from the lumpy engine 'tugs'.

BLIGHT

Actually, she wears it is a badge of honor. She knows how, when racing, novice racers typically low side and expert racers typically high side. So she wears her highside as a badge of honor. But it was spectacular. I was amazed at how well the V11 held up, though. I would expect a bike that heavy to suffer more damage in a high side than it did. Luckily she was wearing her Aerostitch suit and it did a good job protecting her with its padding.