PC545 still the way to go?

tom3

All of these specific numbers are applicable to 25ºC/77ºF:

If it's a newly shipped battery, hook a light bulb (load) and a voltmeter to it for a few minutes (two-three) and look back at the voltage (Open Current Voltage/OCV) after at least six hours later ("overnight").

12.84v = 100%

12.65v = 85% and the battery should be *charged*.

All of these specific numbers are applicable to 25ºC/77ºF:

If it's a newly shipped battery, hook a light bulb (load) and a voltmeter to it for a few minutes (two-three) and look back at the voltage (Open Current Voltage/OCV) after at least six hours later ("overnight").

12.84v = 100%

12.65v = 85% and the battery should be *charged*.

Thanks.  Will check this..

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection:

i’ve Been on the “stick with the odyssey” side of the battery discussion for a number of years, mostly because i have been happy to stick with what i know works, along with a single bad experience i had with a Shorai, and partly because a wise mechanic i know felt the same way back.

but times change, and i will say i like how much smaller the one li-ion battery i run in another bike is than the AGM that it calls for.  The brake Rez on the V11 rubbing against the Odyssey got me thinking about that... i’m Going to go through the cables and wiring on the V11 soon,  and i gave brief, foolish thought to changing to li-ion to save a little space, to keep the Rez from rubbing.  Ridiculous of course, because there are much cheaper (free) ways to keep the reservoir from rubbing against my perfectly fine odyssey, but thought i’d Ping Marty or whoever is running the Shorai regarding how things are shaping out now, a couple years later, in their lives with the Shorai in the V11.

You run the risk of the charging system not being compatible with the Li-Iron or Li-Ion batteries and not charging them correctly.

I got the Odyssey from AutoZone, and they were the cheapest by far.

• Like 1

Dunno of any of the Yanks are using the Yuasa YUAM6215L / YTX15L-BS AGM battery. Last I hears they were still made in Reading, Pennsylvania. $73 shipped via Amazon. I was grumping about the Yuasa AGM in my Kawi going bad this winter - then I checked my log book and noticed that it was 9 years old. Well,, OK then.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:30 PM, Gmc28 said:

... but thought i’d Ping Marty or whoever is running the Shorai regarding how things are shaping out now, a couple years later, in their lives with the Shorai in the V11...

I'm happy with the Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 on my bike. It has given no signs of trouble over the last three years. It better not, given the price, though it does have a 5-year prorated warranty.

I plug in the dedicated Shorai balance charger BMS01 a couple of times a year, as Shorai says "While standard lead-acid chargers can be used with Shorai LFX when needed, the BMS01 is specifically designed to charge, store, maintain, balance, and diagnose your LFX battery".

• Like 1

Marty- I actually have a couple li-ion float chargers, so I’m set up.  One from the shorai that failed me, and another from an off brand in the duc that has performed great.  I now suspect the shorai got abused in its brief life before I got it.  
But is the battery as much smaller than the odyssey as is the case with other bikes who make the change?

my Ktm had to have a bunch of padding to take up the leftover space from the smaller shorai. Less so on the ducati.  How much smaller is the shorai For the v11 than the comparable odyssey?

2 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

How much smaller is the Shorai for the V11 than the comparable Odyssey?

The Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 is 148 mm side to side, 82 mm top to bottom, 140 mm front to back, and weighs 1.36kg. It is the biggest model I could get that would fit in the stock cradle.

I think the PC545 Odyssey is 177.8mm side to side, 85.9mm top to bottom, 131.3mm front to back, and weighs 5.7kg.

Under V11 Seat.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

The Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 is 148 mm side to side, 82 mm top to bottom, 140 mm front to back, and weighs 1.36kg. It is the biggest model I could get that would fit in the stock cradle.

I think the PC545 Odyssey is 177.8mm side to side, 85.9mm top to bottom, 131.3mm front to back, and weighs 5.7kg.

Under V11 Seat.jpg

Looks sorted :rasta:   looking at the  Omron's,  shake stoppers  ? some soft material .   More curious, those 2 white squares with adjusters or ?

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

Looks sorted :rasta:   looking at the  Omron's,  shake stoppers  ? some soft material .   More curious, those 2 white squares with adjusters or ?

Cheers tom.

Sharp eyes.

Yes, silicone foam tape is in there to reduce relays shaking in their sockets. I don't know how effective it is yet, but when I got the bike it had loose terminal sockets for some of the relays. A possible downside is a slight reduction in heat loss from the relays. Docc has written about relays getting hot.

The white square covers are over single stud terminal blocks. All the cables to the battery will go there, and another cable goes to the battery. That's the plan, but I haven't got to finish that little job. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may or may not have solved my battery rat's nest of wires this way.

IMG_20200220_154217153.jpg

I was at a gun show, and a guy was selling commemorative coins for something.. don't remember. But.. they were supposedly 100% copper and cheap. (Guzzi content) :grin: So I bought a couple, sawed them 3/4" wide, bent them 90 degrees, and soldered a nut on the back. I see some green showing where I apparently didn't get any Vaseline. Time will tell if this is a long term fix.

• Like 1

Just another solid nest .
Cheers Tom.8526d7e6aa386b4067b794ca6396cc83.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Just another solid nest emoji482.png.
Cheers Tom.8526d7e6aa386b4067b794ca6396cc83.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

Very tidy! I like the shielding around the positive terminal. (I also like shielding the corner of the grounded ECU case near the positive terminal. Maybe in your installation, shielding the entire side of the case's proximity to the positive junction next to the ECU case.)

Usually the case ground is attached at that left front corner of the ECU. Where did yours move to, Tom?

And, is that your charging wire on the right? Does it look like it has been rather hot?

Hi to all, 

My Stelvio's battery was fitted in Guzzi's factory in february 2008 and still does the job. It reads 11.8 volts after 4 weeks of non-use and stays there.

Its an AGM Yuasa made in USA, and, as far as i know, they are made in the same factory (that belongs to the Enersys group)as Hawker Odysseys and Genesys .batteries.

I had bought an identical replacement nbattery a good while ago just in case but so far so good with the 12 years old one..

Now we dont have severely cold winters in Cork.b