PC545 still the way to go?

tom3

Amazingly resilient, these AGM. But blatantly unforgiving if neglected.  Know your actionable voltages.

Understanding the actionable thresholds and required charging voltages and amperages is the difference between making the battery secure and watching your mates ride off while you wait for roadside assistance . . . :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeraldv11 said:

Hi to all, 

My Stelvio's battery was fitted in Guzzi's factory in february 2008 and still does the job. It reads 11.8 volts after 4 weeks of non-use and stays there.

Its an AGM Yuasa made in USA, and, as far as i know, they are made in the same factory (that belongs to the Enersys group)as Hawker Odysseys and Genesys .batteries.

I had bought an identical replacement nbattery a good while ago just in case but so far so good with the 12 years old one..

Now we dont have severely cold winters in Cork.b

That’s the kind of impressive i got from my Odyssey, and a Westco.  At 10yrs i’d Change the battery just because it seemed like i’d Gotten my moneys worth, but they still held voltage fine. 

I’m not not after weight loss on the V11, just like the notion of it being tidier under the seat, and the extra space provided by the smaller battery could be space i use for a little CE-1 box, or something along those lines.

Ultimately i’ll Likely not want to remove a perfectly good odyssey, so i’ll Waffle, then it will be riding season again, and i’ll Put her back together and head out...  But Marty’s setup does look like a good one for creating some space in that area.

• Like 1

Very tidy! I like the shielding around the positive terminal. (I also like shielding the corner of the grounded ECU case near the positive terminal. Maybe in your installation, shielding the entire side of the case's proximity to the positive junction next to the ECU case.)
Usually the case ground is attached at that left front corner of the ECU. Where did yours move to, Tom?
And, is that your charging wire on the right? Does it look like it has been rather hot?
Docc, the + and - terminals are extremely sturdy. Had a bush fix before recieving the + protection. ( pictures )
The only place with heat is in my head,,, sometimes.
From regulator now, 1 wire to + terminal, and 1 wire to minus terminal.
The wire you see is for an outlet, never in use, a little miscoloration, not been hot.
Very happy with the charging.
About 70 more days, tuning outside.
Cheers Tom.
94948fb8aea0baff6d52688ec39c9b0a.jpg6d9c40b2fb4fa3ddd5c6bcb9fc5bec1a.jpg793bcef29d60302f7b4238b852497505.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2017 at 7:16 PM, tom3 said:

It looks like the battery in my 2001 Sport is no longer holding charge.  It is an Odyssey PC545 (with metal jacket), and the labels on it indicate a manufacture date of July 2005 and installation in 2006.  I've had the bike since 2008 and the battery has never given me problems until recently. 

I briefly considered reconditioning it, but I'm leaning toward just replacing it given how old it is.  From the many battery threads that turned up in my search, it looks like PC545 still gets most of your votes.  That is the default choice for me as well since I've had good experience with the one that came in my bike.  (though I probably shortened its life by putting it on a Battery Tender Jr out of ignorance).

Nevertheless, I'd like to make sure that it is still the way to go since many of the threads I found are from a few years ago. 

For instance, would this Yuasa YTX-15L with it's higher CCA be a better choice?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/262433899795

What about LiPO4 batteries?

Thanks!!

I got ten years out of a PC545 in my LeMans. I tried reconditioning it with an electronic battery saver, but it did not respond, something I did find in Odyssey's literature. Not an option apparently, and lost the very expensive 27 series Odyssey in my Charger because the ground fault popped on the trickle charger circuit while I was out of town and left the battery flat for a couple weeks. No recovery possible. 
On the Lithium note; I put one in my 1100 Sport-i a couple summers ago. It was...marginally satisfactory. It had great cranking power, but very little reserve- my onboard camera has a parasitic drain for a 'parking' mode, and it took enough out of the Lithium that it wouldn't start after standing 24 hours. After standing in the bike for a year disconnected but for 3-4 short rides, it never did start the bike reliably again. I loved the weight but ultimately went back to the Odyssey.

• 3 weeks later...

Following recent routine start-up (and pre-sale testing of veglia odometer) battery seemed weak (~12v at rest) - but in checking my notes, original was replaced 03/2008 (at around 65k) ... so after 12 years service is probably due. These batteries do last!

Will be making an allowance for replacement as part of my sale of the bike btw ... and a recommendation for equivalent.

Gio

• Like 1