Running trouble

czakky

...replaced most fuel lines, fuel filter and cleaned the injectors.

After that I'm running out of ideas.

The fuel filter is directional. Is the arrow on the filter pointing in the direction of fuel flow?

You mention black smoke, perhaps it's too rich what could cause that?
Excess fuel pressure perhaps, are you sure you have the pressure regulator plumbed correctly? If the regulator is blocked off the pressure goes from 40+ to over 70 also makes the pump extra noisy.

You didn't by chance put a hose on the regulator vent (small spigot sticking out) did you?

With the throttle closed the TPS Voltage should be around 400 mV from memory, perhaps you could loosen it off and try moving it back and forth to see if you can get it to run.

It could also be starving for fuel at anything over idle but I don't know why, try the old fuel filter back on.

I had an EV with the filter completely plugged, it would start ok but had no power.

Unfortunately with the in tank regulator it's not possible to see the fuel returning to the tank, it should be a full pipe, I think 5-10 gallons per minute.

Google the Efiman document it's a gold mine of information regarding the fuel injection even though it's written for a P8 it still applies.

That's all the ideas I have.

With the riding season starting now might be a good time to add a second V11 to the stable.

While you explore the different possibilities of what's not working of course. It would also give you a working model to compare against as well.

( Tim, you can chime in now )

With the riding season starting now might be a good time to add a second V11 to the stable.

While you explore the different possibilities of what's not working of course. It would also give you a working model to compare against as well.

( Tim, you can chime in now )

Ha - Czakky needs a carbureted thumper with knobby tires.

But back to the present problem... as I understand it, it will still start, but will not keep running. So you have air and spark. That leaves the third part of the equation - a fuel problem.

I see you mentioned checking fuel pressure, but I did not see anything about fuel volume. On the 2002s the gas goes from tank, through manual petcock, then pump, filter, injectors, external pressure regulator, and back to tank. I like Roy's suggestion to try the old filter - in the extraordinarily unlikely event that you have a defective new filter.

But before that...

How's the manual petcock? Is it totally open - or might you have left it partially closed when the tank was off?

What about the screen around the petcock's inlet? Maybe it had accumulated some debris, which hardened in the air while the tank was empty.

Here's another basic one, I dont know how far you had this thing apart but you havent put a rag or something in the inlet whilst in bits?

Ciao

OMG, I once left paper towels in the intake manifold of an old Cadillac V-8. It started and died, started and died. Then it shot the whole wad out the tail pipe and ran perfectly.

Stumped on this one. I tried reloading my map, checked fuel pressure, no change.

I'm going to try checking the fuel injectors again...

Oh, man . . .winter in Wisconsin . . . don't make me come up there and smell your dairy air! :huh::luigi::bier:

Believe me if I was in the market for a v11 I would snap up "Champagne Wishes" asap.

Timing sensor is connected with 661 ohms of resistance

Fuel is fresh non-oxy 91 proof

Good point on the rags, I had one in there while the air box was off and the rags are gone. I double checked.

Just saw a 13 KTM 350xc on cal that was screaming my name!...

Brand new manual petcock is wide open and clean as can be.

I'm going to try and clean out these injectors again...

Your scaring me Scud. But when it was running the exhaust felt its usual powerful self.

Always welcome Docc! The sad part is winter has lamented for a few days and tomorrow is nearing 70f!

I'm on daddy duty until the head honcho gets back but, what if I somehow crossed up the input wires on the coils(R to L, L to R)? Would it even run?