Wiring harness improvement/replacement

brlawson

Nothing preposterous about 41mm Keihin FCR flat slides... well other than the price of course lol

Dell’Orto PHM40 are the other choice, for the more budget minded.

55 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Here's the whole assembly

The whole fuel injection assembly, correct? Not seeing a fuel pump in that hideous pile... This doesn't appear to also include the general electrical system harness (charging and lights etc) unless I'm missing something.

Curious myself to know the real weight of the entire pile of electrical crap, as compared to what the Moto Studio guys were touting... Wouldn't be entirely surprised if they were over estimating it. I'm definitely getting rid of the stock general electrical harness this winter and replacing with new wiring and an m-unit. Still on the fence about deleting the EFI, mainly hesitating due to the cost. I guess I could always do that in a second step...

1 hour ago, sp838 said:

The whole fuel injection assembly, correct? Not seeing a fuel pump in that hideous pile... This doesn't appear to also include the general electrical system harness (charging and lights etc) unless I'm missing something.

No, there's nothing about lights. There is stuff that isn't on a bike, though. That giant Mil spec connector that plugs into the drone. The harness itself has roughly a brazillion wires in it. Some servos. Giant relays. I'll bet the weight is a wash.

7 hours ago, sp838 said:

I should probably clarify the origin of the 25 pounds claim and explain what it comprises, for those interested in this as well as for those who are in it simply because they enjoy getting into arguments on the internet :rolleyes:

The guys at Moto Studio are the ones who told me that that the stock wiring weighs in at around 25 pounds. They have built eight full ground up custom Guzzi V11 bikes of their own, not counting customer bikes. They know what the @#!#$# they are talking about. That said, in my comment above, I am sorry if I implied that the EFI system alone weighs 25 pounds. This thread is about improving and/or replacing the -entire- wiring harness. The 25 pounds number is for the whole stock wiring system, and I imagine they also included the handlebar switch gear in that number. Maybe even turn signals and tail light? So anyway, at least the relay blocks, fuses, many many yards of wire and plastic harness tubing, weatherpack connectors, sensors, switchgear, ignition switch, the ECU , throttle bodies, injectors, throttle body rail and linkage with the TPS and fast idle warts, fuel pump etc...

I imagine all of that does indeed add up to 25 pounds pretty quickly. That isn't what the net weight loss would be of course, since after removing all that you'd have to add back a set of carbs, an electronic ignition, an M-Unit, new switchgear. All of that stuff would be significantly less though. Both in weight and in clutter. Is it something that everyone with a V11 should do? Absolutely not! No one ever said so. But then, go through the forum and count how many posts there are on electrical problems with these bikes. Chuck just went through an ordeal with his. Then come back to me and tell me it wouldn't be worth it to rewire the bike from scratch. Hell, keep the EFI. The point is to make a simpler, more reliable electrical system.

So again, my apologies for not being clear in my previous comments, I hope this makes sense. And for those who are in it just for the joys of getting into internet pissing matches, well, I can't help there. That's between them and their therapists and/or liquor cabinets.

I love how this internet stuff works. People throw out there some second hand, unsubstantiated, fuzzy grey claim as fact and when they're called out on it and asked to justify/verify this info they start back pedaling, clarifying, and accusing the ones asking for the facts as involving them in an internet pissing competition.

The joys of trying to wade your way through off the cuff dross masquerading as fact and getting to some genuine information that might be of actual use now or in the future.    

Ciao

Funny how you feel like that was directed at you! Maybe time to go visit the therapist.

2 minutes ago, sp838 said:

Funny how you feel like that was directed at you! Maybe time to go visit the therapist.

I try to keep mine at-the-ready . . . :drink:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sp838 said:

You say that like its a bad thing:mg: And yes I at least accept your apology for your lack of previous clarity and loose interpretation of figures.I can't comment for the others.

Ciao

• Haha 1

Did a little search, here is a writeup on pipeburn where they are quoted as saying the electrical system including the efi weighs "over 25 pounds", again I'm sure they are including stuff like switchgear and maybe even the clocks:

https://www.pipeburn.com/home/2016/04/28/moto-guzzi-v11-sport-moto-studios.html

If you are so outraged maybe you should take it up with them. And there is nothing wrong with seeing a therapist! I encourage if it will help you chill the f u c k out a little  

AF96F36F-9F00-4760-9A3C-700A7B3B8C78.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've long endured people saying the V11 is a heavy bike. Sure, it's no SuperMotard. When asked, I say that it's out of gas at 500 pounds.

My last liter bike weighed 650, so I'm feeling like I have wings on my boots . . . :sun:

• Like 1

I rode the new BMW s1000rr with the full M Power package a couple weeks ago with California Superbike School. I recommend it if you ever get the opportunity to do it. 

8 minutes ago, sp838 said:

I rode the new BMW s1000rr with the full M Power package a couple weeks ago with California Superbike School. I recommend it if you ever get the opportunity to do it. 

I think I better keep dancing with the *somewhat* heavy, but shapely girl with the (Pirelli) high heels. :food:

Anything lighter, and faster, is going to make me look slow and stupid just that much quicker . . . ;)

4 hours ago, docc said:

I think I better keep dancing with the *somewhat* heavy, but shapely girl with the (Pirelli) high heels. :food:

Anything lighter, and faster, is going to make me look slow and stupid just that much quicker . . . ;)

:rolleyes: I ride the V11 way too fast.  The HP number means little to me. It has not much more than half the HP as my latest generation multi, but I ride the v11 like a punk kid.... it just loves that “power band” where it goes like a scalded monkey, so I end up racing around like Vale. Bad behavior, but delicious. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1