Gearbox Drip (case crack)

LowRyter

The recent tranny leak on my Scura seems to be cured by splitting the cases and resealing - and carefully applying sealant all the way around every bolt hole. Long-term test in progress... 

If it's just a leak at a seam above the fluid level, I can definitely live with it, reseal it or dab some epoxy on it.  A leaking crack into the structural mount is quite another.  

Thanks for all the info.  I am armed with lots of information and accompanying anxieties.  But now I have a game plan and even a replacement possibility for worst case.  

Thanks for your input.  After reading all this I decided to drop it off at Don's shop while I can still ride it and the bike is in one piece.  Don has a guy that does plastic repair so perhaps he can fix the ABS as well.

If the tranny is really busted, I'll look into the replacement.  With all hope and trepidation.  

Then I'll get on to fixing the EV with a new clutch cable on order.   

yep,  she's cracked.

Dan's going to take it out and try to weld it up.  Otherwise, I might have to get a replacement.  

Oh, man.. that sucks. Same place as the one in South America? 

haven't seen it.  Don called me.  I asked if he would sent it out but said he would try to weld it.  There's a fabrication shop next door there too.  I suppose he'll know more once the tranny is removed.

I have no idea if it's doomed or not.  

This is where my gearbox cracked and the case was replaced under warranty. I *theorized* the spine frame mount is vulnerable there because of the extreme distance between only frame mounting points at the back of the gearbox and the timing chest.

I added (back) the frame to bell housing mounting plate (used on pre-V11 spine frames) to give the spine a third (middle) mounting point and *help* relieve the stress on that rear-most mounting boss.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1797&p=17967

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1797&p=28651

And the 2002 and later subframes distribute some of the stress to the engine block. The later subframes have "arms" that reach around the transmission to the back of the block.

And the 2002 and later subframes distribute some of the stress to the engine block. The later subframes have "arms" that reach around the transmission to the back of the block.

True, that. And (as I recall), the later spine frames eliminated the mounting tabs for the middle mounting plate.

We've seen a few of these fractures at the left frame mount to the gearbox. Seems they have all been early short frames. Have there been any on later (2002-2005) long frames?

This is where my gearbox cracked and the case was replaced under warranty. I *theorized* the spine frame mount is vulnerable there because of the extreme distance between only frame mounting points at the back of the gearbox and the timing chest.

I added (back) the frame to bell housing mounting plate (used on pre-V11 spine frames) to give the spine a third (middle) mounting point and *help* relieve the stress on that rear-most mounting boss.

where can I get this mounting plate?

just getting deeper and deeper now.  But I am out of options, if my gearbox can't be fixed, the bike is toast.

Check on that linked part number for the Sport 1100 ("PIASTRA COLLEG" 12 02 83 00) with MGCycle, Harper's MotoInt'l , wherever . . . 

The case itself was replaced on mine. Is that still available?

Otherwise, if had my crack *welded*, I would definitely want the tertiary support at the front of the gearbox.

Doc, I looked at all the usual internet suspects.  I can't find the cradle and would assume there are no gearboxes housings anywhere.  

I can probably have the cradle fab'd.  I'll need to get some measurements since it's off center.  I hope it's standard 1/8 in stock and flat?  If it's got bends in it, I might be hosed.  If it's too complex for Don, I'll check with a couple of motorcycle drag race shops here like Racing Innovations (they built all those chopper frames you see on TV) and Marion Owens.  

I am probably going to be into this for more than it's worth.  I'd still like to be riding again in April.  But I still wonder what I can sell parts for to put in a Ducati SS kitty?  (This never crossed me mind a week ago but I might be forced into it if no one will touch it.)  Anyway, I am just ranting on a Sunday afternoon.  Monday will tell the tale when  I go to the shop and talk to Don.

where can I get this mounting plate?

just getting deeper and deeper now.  But I am out of options, if my gearbox can't be fixed, the bike is toast.

Ok ok, you drive a hard bargain. I'll give you a hunnerd bones for it.  :huh2:

Shirley.. there is a transmission in a boneyard somewhere.. and.. I'm betting even I could weld it. Ok ok.. 200 dollars.. :whistle: