Gearbox Drip (case crack)

LowRyter

Just to restate: I believe this brace adds no additional protection to the transmission case in a 2002 and later motorcycle - in fact it won't even fit without welding, which, IMO would be a waste of time.

No reason a Tennista to buy one - unless you plan to get an early sport to keep her company.

What exactly do you mean?

I've had the engine and tranny several times now, I don't really feel like doing so again. My black frame indeed does not have the bracket on the tube to bolt the additional support to...

Are there any ideas on what will happen if I continue to ride her? Catastrophic failure?

No catastrophic failure. Just a few spots on the garage floor and a burnt x-over. To the smell you can get used, after a year or so you'll probably miss it.

Other question: Is it possible to mount the newer subframe to the KRs? Has anyone tried that before? While I didn't have a broken case so far I found the lower cross bolt loose several times over the years now. Scud could be right with the impression that KR frame and drive train are a bit 'elastic' at this point.

Hubert

Tinus - I think you'll be fine. From what I can see, the engine tends to move more in the short-frame bikes (is that what KR means?) than in the long-frame, later bikes. It is especially noticable with a rough idle. So you might just make sure you have a smooth, balanced idle, or adjust the idle speed up a bit to smooth it out.

I dropped off a 2002 lower subframe for SP838 in New York a while back. He was going to try fitting it to his red-framed Sport. It would require:

• Machining down the surface on the large diagonal cross-brace that mates to the LH porkchop
  • One of the following:
  1. Remove the bars that go forward to the engine block
  2. Tap holes in the engine block for the mounting bolts

Thanks. Probably beyond what I would be willing to do.

And yes, KR I use for shortframe (personally for V11 Sport, but that would mean a rather small V11 forum). What is a Rosso Mandello? Something inbetween or a legit long frame?

As both of you are saying what I already expected: no catastrophic failure, and since I am low on cash and reluctant to agáin take her apart completely, I am willing to leave it for a season and fix it next year. But, I do want to try and address the leak.

Options:

- Liquid gasket (since the case is already black anyway, and it is out of sight

- Liquid metal

- To yes or no use a small grinder (Dremel) and grind the crack into a V-shape before I fill her.

What's your opinions?

I also found this:

http://hmb-guzzi.de/Gearbox-Housing-V11-black

Best option on the long run. No wrinkle, though.

More important as the V would be stopping the crack by drilling a small hole at the end of it.

I know a guy who used such a box for over a year on the race track before he eventually brought it to the welder.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone find someone who stocks the plate? i.e. part no  GU01202830

I have had no look - all manufacturer does not stock this part.

My RM has the leak. Need to find/make a tray to go under gearbox and on exhaust to stop dip and subsequent blue haze.

I have had no luck - all manufacturer does not stock this part.

My RM has the leak. Need to find/make a tray to go under gearbox and on exhaust to stop dip and subsequent blue haze.

Hi Nigel, I see a reference to a supplier here: https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20337&do=findComment&comment=231113

You may have to paint the red finish black for your bike. 

• Like 1

I have had no luck - all manufacturer does not stock this part.

Hi Nigel, I see a reference to a supplier here: https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20337&do=findComment&comment=231113

You may have to paint the red finish black for your bike. 

Hi Marty, Thanks for the link. We should go for a ride sometime. I promise not to cover you with to much oil

I have the part 120290 - which is identical except with a smooth black finish - not the wrinckle paint.

A few weeks ago I sent one case to another guy in New Zealand. You can contact him if you want to get references to me.

Rolf

Hi Rolf, Thanks for that. I read on MG Riders FB page here in NZ that someone else had same problem.

I need to remove remove tank & airbox to determine that crack in gearbox is cause of problem. Then I can decide what i'm doing

If you have a redframe bike, you should get the brace.  Better to do it before the gearbox housing cracks, not after.

Contact Don at Motiv at the website listed.  He's a Guzzi dealer now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After taking Tank, airbox & starter motor off found leak was coming from sensor on left hand side of gearbox. Great that it wasn't a cracked gearbox. Gasket/washer was not doing its job. Used RTV & thread sealant until I can get replacement washer/gasket. While I had every thing off I checked about mounting the plate under air box. Found on my RM that there is no mounting points on the frame. Is anyone else's like this?

2 hours ago, cash1000 said:

After taking Tank, airbox & starter motor off found leak was coming from sensor on left hand side of gearbox. Great that it wasn't a cracked gearbox. Gasket/washer was not doing its job. Used RTV & thread sealant until I can get replacement washer/gasket. While I had every thing off I checked about mounting the plate under air box. Found on my RM that there is no mounting points on the frame. Is anyone else's like this?

Yes, so was my 2001 RM. I've added the mounting point (welded to the frame) as shown here.