Gearbox Drip (case crack)

LowRyter

Oil leak has not gone away. I now suspect its the Neutral switch/sensor that is leaking. I've read of this happening with Aprilla's & late model Triumphs. Does anyone know of it happening in Guzzi's? I've ordered one from Moto Kiwi. I'm planning on going to Sundown Retreat Rally this week end so hopefully its here before then.

Hi Tinus89 - Thanks for the confirmation. I will contact Don at Motiv and see if he has any left. I see it was welded with engine still in place. What did you do to protect electric's?

• 2 weeks later...

New here. I have an 00 v11 sport with an 02 motor and 00 gearbox.  The case is cracked on the left side of the gear box mount. I have the tabs on my red frame that should have been attached to a bracket that attaches to the bell housing that guzzi forgot/didnt want to install on my bike. I ordered and have received said bracket from Motiv Cycle Works. I also plan to put a piece of tubing between the void in the gearbox mount to prevent future pinch stress cracks. What's the consensus on repairing the case? I've seen jb weld, alumi bond, aluminum and zinc flux coated braze rods, and aluminum braze rods with map gas as possible fixes. Anyone have any experience repairing the stress crack on the gear box next to the left side of the mount? I'm very expierenced in brazing copper pipe, soldering board level, I'm ok with a mig welder, but that's it. I bought some aluminum square stock and used my oxy acetylene rig with a #1 tip cold as I could get with some alum braze rods just to get a feel but I blew right through. Any advice welcomed and appreciated. Id love to take a day trip without a bottle of red line heavy shockproof in my backpack lol.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, fiveunderFL said:

New here. I have an 00 v11 sport with an 02 motor and 00 gearbox.  The case is cracked on the left side of the gear box mount. I have the tabs on my red frame that should have been attached to a bracket that attaches to the bell housing that guzzi forgot/didnt want to install on my bike. I ordered and have received said bracket from Motiv Cycle Works. I also plan to put a piece of tubing between the void in the gearbox mount to prevent future pinch stress cracks. What's the consensus on repairing the case? I've seen jb weld, alumi bond, aluminum and zinc flux coated braze rods, and aluminum braze rods with map gas as possible fixes. Anyone have any experience repairing the stress crack on the gear box next to the left side of the mount? I'm very expierenced in brazing copper pipe, soldering board level, I'm ok with a mig welder, but that's it. I bought some aluminum square stock and used my oxy acetylene rig with a #1 tip cold as I could get with some alum braze rods just to get a feel but I blew right through. Any advice welcomed and appreciated. Id love to take a day trip without a bottle of red line heavy shockproof in my backpack lol.

Motiv repaired the case on mine, that's when Don made the brace kit.  He took the case to a powder coater and left in the oven for a several days. Then he did the grind and weld.  I would think that a reputable shop could do it.  When mine was fixed, I didn't have a choice as I couldn't find a replacement case.  So far it's held up for nearly two years and I would guess 6k to 10k miles. 

This new case comes from the 2004-series V11 Sport. I have not heard of any such models having problem with cracking gearbox house.

They are 100% identical with the first 2000-models, but many things may have been changes to the better in the production.

Alu-alloy, casting prosess, bigger radius in corners etc.

Why use time and energy in trying to repair, when you can just put in a new part. I think the cost will be around the same level.

Rolf

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rolf Halvorsen said:

This new case comes from the 2004-series V11 Sport. I have not heard of any such models having problem with cracking gearbox house.

They are 100% identical with the first 2000-models, but many things may have been changes to the better in the production.

Why use time and energy in trying to repair, when you can just put in a new part. I think the cost will be around the same level.

Rolf

wish I'd known you a couple years ago

I also have the false neutral problems. I'm wondering if buying a complete 2004 gear box would be more cost effective than doing the pre selector upgrade and new case. I'd have sold the bike already if it wasn't so beautiful and unique. I park it in a lot of 25 bikes and it gets the most attention. Plus that sound it makes is addicting. 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:15 AM, Rolf Halvorsen said:

Rolf

Interesting. What does the case cost? 

32 minutes ago, Chuck said:

False neutrals? Have you taken the pre selector off and done the Lucky Phil tuneup? 

Not yet. Link? Mostly 2 to 3 up on it and 4 to 3 down high rev  going into turns. Lovely. Fun coasting through an curve with no gas  or engine break. Soo safe. 

Here is LuckPhil's shift improvement thread:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19547-v11-shift-improvement/

Before diving in that deep, service and carefully adjust the foot shift mechanism and flush the clutch fluid.

Also, verify the gearbox recall was performed:

V11 Recall Notices

• 1 month later...

I just installed the plate to as not to continue to rip the gearbox apart. I'm ok with period blood where I park. Holy crap was that the most aggravating piece to install. The "Plata no go inna" is in. I had to jack the motor unit from the left side to align the bolts and use a piece of bent around brazing rod to hold the bolt and put it through the hole. FML. 

• Haha 1