Gearbox Drip (case crack)

LowRyter

Sounds like good news. And you'll have a cool scar on your transmission.

Like I said, Don is confident and I am hopeful.  I looks really ugly right now.  There are a couple of  local  shops that specialize in aluminum welding, so if he can't fix it and doesn't ruin it, there are other places..... :o

Hey, LowRyter, while it's "down", maybe somebody can get a read on that tripe clamp part number?

It would be telling if your triples are the early 1/2º steeper jobs . . .

What is the build date on your Sport?  (I know I asked before...) :blush:

Docc... I'll try to keep that request in the memory bank.......but it's pretty far down the list of ever getting it on the road.

(Maybe if I sell it for parts the next buyer can read it off the individual part numbers)

Status on my bike.

The shop believes that they have the transmission sealed up.  

He's less optimistic about fixing the ABS plastic side panels and started cover. 

The bike with new bracket should be ready this week.  And here's the info regarding getting a bracket:

Don at 

Motiv Cycle Works, 8301 N Classen, Oklahoma City, OK 73114

should have the brackets made from water jet very soon.  He should have an opportunity to ship them out in the next couple of weeks.  The price is $60+ shipping.

Right now he expects to have 4 to sell (fyi- two members on the board have written me regarding purchase).  So if interested, it makes sense to call him now in case we need to make more.  This will not only provide a needed part on the redframe bikes (unavailable from Guzzi so far as we know), it will also help defer my out of pocket costs.  

Call him at (405) 641-1801 

John L (LowRyter) sends

Status on my bike.

The shop believes that they have the transmission sealed up.  

He's less optimistic about fixing the ABS plastic side panels and started cover. 

The bike with new bracket should be ready this week.  And here's the info regarding getting a bracket:

Don at 

Motiv Cycle Works, 8301 N Classen, Oklahoma City, OK 73114

should have the brackets made from water jet very soon.  He should have an opportunity to ship them out in the next couple of weeks.  The price is $60+ shipping.

Right now he expects to have 4 to sell (fyi- two members on the board have written me regarding purchase).  So if interested, it makes sense to call him now in case we need to make more.  This will not only provide a needed part on the redframe bikes (unavailable from Guzzi so far as we know), it will also help defer my out of pocket costs.  

Call him at (405) 641-1801 

John L (LowRyter) sends

Do you have the engineering drawing? It would be good to have in the future in case someone needs them and Don is not available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, LowRyter, while it's "down", maybe somebody can get a read on that tripe clamp part number?

It would be telling if your triples are the early 1/2º steeper jobs . . .

What is the build date on your Sport?  (I know I asked before...) :blush:

Docc,  I didn't get the part number but the build date was June 2000.  

And there is also a "New Zealand manufactured" sticker on the frame.  Now that was a surprise.  

It will be interesting to know if this improves or degrades the high speed handling weave that has been a point of discussion.  My guess it won't have an effect.  But I expect to also stiffen the rear preload with it apart- the next step might be a suspension kit.  

-John L sends

• Like 1

Yeah, man, if you could gets springs spec'd for your weight-in-gear, and set the preloads for the "sags" it will transform the stability.

so Docc,  what s the significance of the build date?  Are the frames built in New Zealand?  

Inquiring minds want to know.  

So, I noticed your Greenie has steel "flnned" exhaust flanges. Most V11 exhaust flanges are smooth alloy pieces.  From that, I always thought your V11 was an early build and *might* have the very early "steeper triple clamps."

But my Sport was built March 2000, so I guess Luigi just wanted you to have those (beautiful!) finned exhaust flanges. Very, very unlikely you have the "steeper triples."  Sounds like you just need to spec your springs and "set up" your suspension. (You'll be sooooo happy you did!)

My build tag says "MFD BY Moto Guzzi Co. ITALY" just above the inscribed build date, and "THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS blah-blah-blah" . . .

This is on the metal tag on the left side of the frame head tube. So: frame (vehicle) Made in Italy. :mg:

There is a paper tag on the right side of the spine frame, but I can't see it with the tank on. Is that where you see the New Zealand wording?

[P.S.  -  The majority of US Federal labels were applied to my swingarm under the "hugger."  My replacement swingarm, from Germany, has none of these stickers.]

And there is also a "New Zealand manufactured" sticker on the frame.  Now that was a surprise.  

-John L sends

Are you sure it isn’t a NZ beer label stuck on the frame?   :lol:

I only know of one NZ built bike in recent years, made by John Britten.

images-1.jpg

My 03 V11 has a sticker on the spine near the steering head that says -

MOTO GUZZI S.p.A.

USA N. ZELANDA.

ZGUKRAKRX3M1...

I think that means that it was made in Italy for USA & NZ markets. 

The VIN decoding as I remember is .... 1st character is the Country of origin. 2nd & 3rd character is the Manufacturer's I.D. 4th -8th is Brand & misc.info w/the last character being the engine.9th is a verification code  10th character is the year . 11th character is the plant . 12th-17th is the Serial number.

Yeah Marty,  that's the sticker.  Docc, it's on the right side of the frame under the tank.

Perhaps NZ and USA had the same manufacture paper work compliance required for import?  Otherwise, I can't imagine a connection.  I am just guessed about the meaning.

I should have the bike on Monday.  

Don has painted the gearbox housing and bracket (red).  Everything is cleaned up and ready for assembly.

The bracket looks smaller than I imagined, I guess that its not 13 1/2 in but cm?

I should have the bike on Monday.  

Don has painted the gearbox housing and bracket (red).  Everything is cleaned up and ready for assembly.

The bracket looks smaller than I imagined, I guess that its not 13 1/2 in but cm?

Haha - yeah, man: centimeters!  Five and 1/3 inches . . .

I am on the road again.   :mg:

Taking it for a dinner ride probably 80 miles round trip for a shake down.  Still need to dial in the suspension and patch the plastic covers.  It's not butt ugly without side and starter covers.  

• Like 3