Gearbox Drip (case crack)

LowRyter

So if you pre-sell more frame re-enforcement plates does the price go down?

I am out of it now Dave.  I settled with Don (and it was pretty good bite as you can imagine).  

Call Don next week after he gets back from COTA and he should be able to help you.  I think he had a little bit of interest here from e-mail and calls.  He told me yesterday that he was selling them for $80.  

I can't even see where it's mounted on my bike.  I saw it all painted red and pretty before he installed it but can't even see it now.

Did you get a final drawing from him of the part?

Like I said earlier at some point they may become unavailable from Don and someone will have to do it again.

• 5 months later...

So, I want to add to this topic, unfortunately.

After "solving" my metallic rattle, I've found a new issue which is slowly worsening: a gearbox leak.

Found a puddle of oil  about 4-5cm in diameter below the bike after a spicy ride. Also found this:

Guzzi_1.jpg

Which is on the right side (facing forward) of the bike. A close-up reveals this (click for large):

Guzzi_2.jpg

I believe she is cracked in the red circle. Removed some of the black paint to show. In the green circle, there is a layer of gearbox oil.

This means she should be cracked here:

Guzzi_3.png

What would you guys do? Get someone to weld it? Try to use metal glue (succesful application on the selector panel left!) to seal? Liquid gasket?

I would ride it for the rest of the season and then pull the transmission out from the back. If you split the cases, you will know for sure if it is cracked. If it's cracked, you can ask a welder for advice. Or could buy a used case or complete tranny. If you can't find a local one, I have a spare black (smooth finish) tranny from a 2004. I would also install the tranny to frame brace. There is a limited supply of NOS braces available - I just bought one from Moto International. I assume TLM can find one for you.

It looks like the same crack that we have on the left side tranny on the redframe but on the right side.   

I think this is the first failure that we've seen on blackframe.  I suppose there might be some queasy feelings.

A834BBAE00D34AEDA4A38AC73CE3E769.jpg

I suppose that Scud is correct.   I've privately wondered if the fix could've been done with epoxy when adding the the bracket?  Considering the bracket would stabilize the stress area and the epoxy would only need to seal the leak.

If MI doesn't have those brackets you should be able to get one from Don.  Paint it black instead of red.  For sure get the bracket.

I think this is the first failure that we've seen on blackframe.  I suppose there might be some queasy feelings.

I have never seen a Rosso Mandello, but my understanding is that the frame and 3 subframes are the same as all the other red-frame bikes - just painted black for this special edition. Therefore this failure would not necessarily be relevant to the 2002 and later models.

So you are saying this bike doesn't have the extra bracing on the lower rear subframe, and the bars that connect to the engine case? I have been hoping I was safe from this failure with the later piece.

Does this cracking seem to be happening to bikes that get pushed hard in the corners, causing the frame to flex more? Maybe I should try to stop having so much fun!

Later models do crack as well. Especially when the engine or gear box was out.

I'd suggest you try to get a new one as long as there's still a slight chance for finding one, though without the wrinkle paint.

Those brackets would be cheap to make. No form die to make, no fussy dimensions.

Looks pretty easy to fab one up. Maybe make it out of titanium, so the bike has one lightweight part on it!

All true. But for the moment, they are super-cheap and readily available from Moto International. *while supplies last*

But Cory, the frame on your Rosso Corsa does not have a place to mount the bracket - so you couldn't use it without welding something onto your frame. I think the lower subframe on your bike does a far better job of holding the driveline in place than the little bracket.

In short: ride it hard as-is.

If you want a little extra assurance, maybe you should check that the tranny top-mount bolt is not over-torqued.

Yes, I would have to weld a bracket to the frame also. That would be easy other than having to disassemble half of the bike for access. 

I guess I would rather have to deal with doing the mod than having the potential nightmare of cracking the trans case. Then I would still have to do the brace and feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner.

I guess I am kind of pro-active or "insert your own less flattering terminology."

I was wondering about removing the bolt from the problem area. Then it could never crack there, but I think I'm too chicken to try it.