Reprogram ECU 15M as 15RC?

68C

Is it possible to reprogram the WM15M ECU as a WM15RC and so be able to use an O2 sensor? I have a 2003/2004 V11 which has the correct wiring loom to accept the sensor.

• Like 1

Is it possible to reprogram the WM15M ECU as a WM15RC and so be able to use an O2 sensor? I have a 2003/2004 V11 which has the correct wiring loom to accept the sensor.

I can tell you that a Nero Corsa originally fitted with a WM15RC will work fine with a WM15M fitted in place of the RC. Especially when the M has Meinolf the magician's map loaded. We did this because Meinolf could help us with a super .bin file for a M, but not for RC.

The O2 sensor is still connected to the wiring loom, but the M ECU cannot use the sensor output.

The M ECU is easy to reprogram, but I don't know if anyone has converted it to function as a RC. Even if it could be done with software alone, without hardware changes, why would you want to? You can get quite good performance out of an M ECU.

Wasn't the narrow band sensor only fitted to allow Euro emissions compliance?

• Like 1

I was hoping to use a wideband controller with an LC1. I have been using the MyEcu, it works Ok just wondering if I could get the OEM Ecu to work in a similar way. The truth is I have never had full confidence in the hardware that I built, I always take the original Ecu with me.

Hi,

no, you can't reprogram a 15M to the 15RC code. You could get the 15RC code into a 15M by physically changing the EEPROM. But this wouldn't work as the HW of the ECU is different and the 15M doesn't have the internal wiring needed for a O2 sensor.

What you can do, however, is to use wideband controllers such as the LM-2 or ZT-2, which provide, based on the WBO2 sensor, the narrow band O2 sensor voltage as analog output and feed this into the 15RC sensor connector. But, you would then have the same input into the ECU as with the original narrow band. Nothing gained, except for additional HW and installation/configuration effort.

What are you trying to achieve?

Cheers

Meinolf

• Like 1

Just tinkering.

I have enjoyed seeing how things changed with the MyEcu running closed loop, although I never did get the MyEcu to run any better than the WM15M, it has been an interesting learning experience. I have been using the Guzzidiag software with a spare ex Ducati WM15M that I load my changes into, I have fitted an LC1 with an AFR gauge to see what I get at various settings.

I now understand I can set either Ecu to run at whatever Air Fuel Ratio I want....the problem is I don't really know what that AFR should be for max efficiency. Also I am unsure what I mean by max efficiency, best fuel consumption or max power? Every engine is different, every day you ride is different, temp, air pressure etc. I am beginning to think closed loop is not suitable for a motorcycle as we rarely ride at a constant throttle, at least not in England.

It is just fun for me, when I want to go any distance I use the WM15M with the stock map.

Thanks for the advice, I now know I cannot reprogram the 15M to a 15RC.

Hi,

...the problem is I don't really know what that AFR should be for max efficiency. Also I am unsure what I mean by max efficiency, best fuel consumption or max power? Every engine is different, every day you ride is different, temp, air pressure etc. I am beginning to think closed loop is not suitable for a motorcycle as we rarely ride at a constant throttle, at least not in England.

here http://www.endtuning.com/afr.html are answers to your questions re max. power / max. efficiency. Using the LC won't really help you in creating fuel tables which are in sync and spot on for a targeted mixture. Logging and analyzing the logged data is a prequisite. You'd need a LM-2 or ZT-2 for that purpose.

As to your remarks to different air temperature and barometric pressure. Yes, the trim curves in the MG BINs, at least 15M/RC, are way off and do not correspond to the general gas equation. That's why those where the first trim tables I corrected in the BINs.

Closed loop as such is not a bad approach. The problem(s) in real life arises out of the pecularities of the narrow band sensor and the hysteresis effects of any control system. The narrow band sensor is really an On/Off device - to lean or to rich. An better approach is to either disable the sensor in the 15RC (and use a BIN suited to the purpose) or move to the 15M entirely. The only difference is that I have a good understanding of the 15M and based BINs thereupon, the 15RC, which is using program code which differs significantly from that of the 15M, is still being analyzed.

Send me a PM, if you want to use the 15M BIN I have developed.

Btw, the BIN I sent to many of you during the last years is constantly being updated. Contact me if you are interested in the current version.

Cheers

Meinolf

• Like 2

Hi,

That is so great, your BIN work, Meinolf!
Version 48?

whatever the version will be after I'm satisfied. I've just switched to a ZT-2 datalogger and am checking against previous measurements with the LM-2. 

Cheers

Meinolf

• Like 1