Rear hugge

Yam350

Hi, does anyone know of a rear hugger that will replace the original item, either a bespoke replacement or one from another bike that can be modified to fit.

Nothing, I'd just prefer to "open" up the rear end. Also the original for all its size isn't particularly effective.

The standard hugger works ok, however given its size it could be a lot better. I recently removed it and there was lots of crud trapped between the hugger and the swinging arm, which has chafed and marked the paintwork. My rd350lc has a similar set up at the rear and has a traditional mudguard which is very effective so I'd like to either find a way of replicating that or a more usual type of hugger. Either way would "lighten" the rear end and prevent hidden corrosion of the swinging arm.

back in the day there was a guy making simple plastic panels that fit in the frame to plug the vital areas and then you could just remove the hugger. I did just that.

IMG_1520-M.jpg

• 1 month later...

I went with the Ghezzi-Brian hugger. It's a little carbon fiber lip that opens up the rear swingarm. Much cooler than the plastic stocker one. Both my V11s are running them.

The Forum member who made the custom protector is named Edge.  I got one of his parts and it fits beautifully FWIW on 2001 Sport.  Good luck in your search.

The Forum member who made the custom protector is named Edge.  I got one of his parts and it fits beautifully FWIW on 2001 Sport.  Good luck in your search.

I love my EdgeGuards. He offered the tooling and materials to anyone who would carry on with them, but I don't think there were any takers. :(

• 2 years later...

anyone know how to find the ghezzi-brian huggers for sale?  a quick web search yielded dead-ends so far.