2003 Le Mans Production Numbers

SMDL

Hi, folks.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to assist in determining production numbers for the 2003 Le Mans.  The reason this is important to me is that it might be possible to get collector insurance on my bike after 15 years if there were less that 1500 built of this model year.  From what I hear, the factory didn't keep great records at that time, and was a little less focused on model years vs. production runs, but  think the VIN does capture that stated model year.  I was thinking of trying Piaggio to see if they had anything they could share, but I figure that someone else here might have some first-hand knowledge, and would know if there is any chance of a sub-1500 production number.  I would suspect that after you take away all the Californias and V11 Sports, Ballabios, etc., there is a pretty good chance that less than 1500 Le Mans were made that year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, 

Shaun

I agree with your logic, and tried to work that out myself a while back. Here's a link:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17535&p=204731

I think the number is easily below 1,500 units, probably FAR below it. Proving it? Well, that could be a challenge.

• Like 1

Collector insurance is cheaper, but the reason they are cheaper is there is an assumption that the bike is not a rider.  The policies usually have a mileage limit or a clause that states that the bike is only to be ridden to / from a display event.  That display event phrase has a wide legal berth.  Some people simply carry around a list of bike shows across the country and if they have an accident, report that they were on the way or back from an event.  There's no requirement that you cannot go to a bike show in LA by way of NYC.

Probably a little different up here.

I've had collector plates on bikes and the only stipulation is the the machine cannot be ridden to or from work more than 15% of the time.

Pleasure use is not limited.

Requirements for "Vintage" plates are different,and I believe these are limited to travelling to displays/ events.

Its (Collector) about 65-80% cheaper than the regular rates we pay to the government monopoly(ICBC). :bbblll:

Not sure if it would be the same for Shaun in Ontario,but as Scud says the challenge is proving the build numbers for the year/model.

Thanks, folks.  Good info, and, no, the coverage I am looking into is not mileage restricted in any way, which is nice.

I have just sent an email to Piaggio NA to see if they are able to provide the information.  Will post with info on their response.

Cheers,
Shaun

Thanks, folks.  Good info, and, no, the coverage I am looking into is not mileage restricted in any way, which is nice.

I have just sent an email to Piaggio NA to see if they are able to provide the information.  Will post with info on their response.

Cheers,

Shaun

Best of luck with this. If you find a reception with Piaggio, plese ask for the production of the entire V11 series.  After this much time, perhaps they wil be willing . . .

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Any word? This will apply to me next year with my 03 LeMans. If less than 1500 made for the year, it gets collector status with ICBC.

I think I will ask my local dealer if he has any way of finding out. I doubt it, but you never know.

Sorry, folks, have been on the process of moving across country, so have had limited availability. Sorry, no answer from Piaggio, and I have now sold my V11. What have I done??

Best of luck on getting the info.

Shaun

• 1 year later...

Good news to V11 owners in BC, Canada. I saw a 2003 V11 Le Mans on craigslist recently and it has collector plates on it.  I will try to get my Ballabio through the process in the fall.

Hello out there! Unfortunately, I didn't screenshot or jot down the plate number of the bike on craigslist.  The government licensing people who handle the collector plate program told me they needed that to see what research has been done to get the collector status for the V11.  Obviously this owner got a hold of production numbers somehow.  Does anyone know who owned a 2003 Le Mans in the Mission area of BC that just sold recently on craigslist (asking price was $6700 Cdn) ? Or has anyone else in BC been successful in proving collector status?

I would think most of us do care about what all the fun cost a year,,,,,:not:    hhæææ who said what.  30 year old vehicles makes it a nice rate up here.   Paying 420kr a year  ( around 48 $ ) full coverage for an 81 Le Mans.  No restrictions.

2003 Le Mans Rosso Corsa 3200kr  a year ( around 375$ )  full coverage.        ( ended up paying around 700$ Beemer S1000rr HP4, which is very aceptable   up here,,,, young lads easly 3000$ or they dont want it, period.   Have one saying pay the least amount of money to your insurance company possible, and hoping not to have to contact them.

Cheers tom.