Side cover ABS repair?

velofish

While you're at it, think about where the holes should be in order to install easily. I've had to elongate the holes to get the panels to fit without too much pressure (which causes the cracks) and to not rub under the tank.

Re-enforce it with a thin aluminium sheet drilled like a Swiss cheese held in place by JB weld or Bondo

The aluminium spreads the stress over a larger area rather than having it concentrated around the hole.

I've used blank circuit board epoxied and clamped, but got better (thinner) results with common fiberglass repair kits available at auto parts stores.

Plus, no worry about epoxying a clamp to your side cover . . .

• 1 month later...

I dropped off the side and starter covers off with my body shop guy.  

He was pretty optimistic that he could fix all three parts in a couple of days without painting them.  Apparently there is a new miracle adhesive-filler that is super strong and works super good.  I think he uses it for plastic bumper repairs.  Since some of the parts around the screw holes are broken and lost, I am not sure he'll touch them up or leave bare.  

When I get it all back I'll provide a report.  

here is the work done on the panels.  Dusty (Central Customs in OKC)  uses 3M 04247 two part filler epoxy + adhesion promoter.  He filled, bonded and sanded.  Since he knew I didn't want to paint it, he was limited to working on the backside only.  

I gave him the paint recipe using the candy paints from House of Kolor and may go that route in future.

50F6C6246DC942FBB7F5D5E88D09309D.jpg

0C5BA66F1D4D4F608B662C4795049B49.jpg

Apparently there's a place out of the U.K. you can get touch up paint, even in a small spray can. It looks to be a three part solution with silver base and clear too. I may try it on a small part like a fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently there's a place out of the U.K. you can get touch up paint, even in a small spray can. It looks to be a three part solution with silver base and clear too. I may try it on a small part like a fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17183

here's the forumla

That looks like a good, solid repair. I've done this various ways over the years.

Once installed, those points will be all but invisible without close inspection. Even a little mask of flat black would subdue the fastener area further.

I realize the black thing :ph34r: could raise some Greenie Attitude . . . :huh:

• Like 1

yeah, it's pretty difficult to see unless you get on our knees in and inspect it in broad day light.  We'll see if it's as durable as advertised.  

Dusty did a similar fix when someone (not me) ripped the side cover of my EV thinking it was pried off rather than screwed on.  It would've been nice if I was told that it was broken rather than find it in the middle of the road an hour after I rode it.  But that side cover didn't break on it's own on the EV like the Greenie.  So we'll see.