2008 Norge Eating Fuses

JRD

On 3/9/2019 at 2:57 PM, Goofman said:

MY goodness, how time flies when you're riding.  Just realized I had not followed up with my '08 Sport fuse issues.  I, too, replaced ALL three of my relays with Matsushita's from MG Cycles, and replaced the silly 18 gauge solenoid wire with 14 gauge.  4,000 miles since, no issues.  Period.  Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge! :notworthy: 

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2007_Norge.gif              BTW the starter (25) shown on here is nonsense.

You replaced the wire between the relay/5 and the starter, that's good but only half the job. According to Carl's drawing you still have a Start relay powered through the ignition switch. This is easy to check, find the Start relay and see if the main contact 3 is alive with the key Off.

Strange as it may seem the more current you can cram into the solenoid spade connector the less power (Watt seconds) it uses because it gets the job done quicker. While the solenoid is engaging the starter gear the battery has nothing else to do, it doesn't start spinning the motor until the gear is engaged.

On these bikes its suggested you snip the yellow wire below the relay and splice it onto  a new yellow 16 gauge run direct to the battery through a new fuse or perhaps splice it into the RH main fuse

Switched Fuse B still feeds 9, 12 & 19 through the original yellow 

The number plate light on these bikes was trying to tell us something, I'm sure it was going dim whenever the starter was making the dreaded SI click

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

They say practice makes perfect.....so I should be getting  pretty good at replacing fuses and wiring.  Couple weeks ago I go out and my 08 Breva 1200 Sport I purchased to replace my Norge fired right up and I rode it to meet a buddy for breakfast.  No issues there or home.  The next day I try to start it for a ride and all I hear is the dreaded click from under the seat.  Not again!!!  Yup another dead starter fuse.  Replaced the fuse, bought a Startus Interruptus and installed a heavier gauge wire from the starter relay to the starter solenoid.  Turn the key, just touch the go button and she fires right up.  All good in Guzzi Land.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 7:39 AM, Kiwi_Roy said:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2007_Norge.gif              BTW the starter (25) shown on here is nonsense.

You replaced the wire between the relay/5 and the starter, that's good but only half the job. According to Carl's drawing you still have a Start relay powered through the ignition switch. This is easy to check, find the Start relay and see if the main contact 3 is alive with the key Off.

Strange as it may seem the more current you can cram into the solenoid spade connector the less power (Watt seconds) it uses because it gets the job done quicker. While the solenoid is engaging the starter gear the battery has nothing else to do, it doesn't start spinning the motor until the gear is engaged.

On these bikes its suggested you snip the yellow wire below the relay and splice it onto  a new yellow 16 gauge run direct to the battery through a new fuse or perhaps splice it into the RH main fuse

Switched Fuse B still feeds 9, 12 & 19 through the original yellow 

The number plate light on these bikes was trying to tell us something, I'm sure it was going dim whenever the starter was making the dreaded SI click

Been reviewing this thread and realized I hadn't acknowledged you for your time and expertise!  Thank you @Kiwi_Roy, kind Sir!  Much overdue. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of assisting @Goofman in the completion of the Startus Interuptus remediation on his 2008 1200 Sport. He was able to extract the female spade captured in the relay base connector so we could connect directly to that from the fused power from the battery without using any of the tiny yellow wire. I am really shocked at how small that factory wire is! And it comes all the way to the ignition switch? Just dreadful. Well, remediated now! Thank you, again, @Kiwi_Roy !

When checking for power on the yellow wire at the relay, the test light glowed very,very faintly with the ignition off.  In fact the test light glowed dimly at all four of the connections to the relay base (most dimly at the yellow/power wire). All of this with the ignition off. What is up with this?

On 8/15/2021 at 4:43 AM, gstallons said:

Is your test light connected to  + or - when you are getting this ?

Clipped to the negative. Probing the connectors in the starter relay block looking for power with the ignition switch off.  Surprised when the power wire (yellow) from the off ignition switch gave a faint glow. Even more surprised when the other three wires in the connector also faintly glowed (just slightly more than the yellow wire).

If I understand correctly, one of those wires is to the starter solenoid, one comes from the Start Button to pull in the relay, and one should ground the relay.

Again, test performed with Ignition Switch off and start Relay removed.

• 2 months later...

I find the issue of  "startups interruptus" and it's fix basic common sense.

Took my Bellagio to the local auto electrician and Harley enthusiast who knew nothing of Moto Guzzi's and his comment was "wierd".

The only other thing he said was " pick it up this afternoon."

$150AU later and he had re-wired most of the starter circuit including a 40 amp soloniod.

To him it was simply the way it should have been done from factory.

Although I am on my second starter motor with a theoretical diagnosis of the leading brush arcing out and not conducting.

Now that if someone who has no Guzzi experience solve this in moments it staggers belief that 100years of experience could not do the same.

Chris.