New part for shift linkage?

footgoose

These mods look better than the replacement spring . I would go this route if mine ever fails . I got the sturdier spring and put it in my luggage so it will never fail .

So I asked where he found it. He answered "Japan, 2 years ago" at a place called "Cow Space - you can find it on the net" I tried - I could not.

Something must have been lost in translation. Good photo though. Shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice pictures there, nonetheless. The KR I acquired in Italy last year sports a solution quite similar to the one shown in the picture above. Italian style, though, but still functionable ;) Anyway, I never heard of spring braking inside a KR gearbox, no tales, no stories.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is another view of the "Japanese" design. Mine is very much the same.

Japan%20linkage%20spring.jpg

another Japanese design photo. You can see that besides a simple assembly, they drilled out the spring catch on the pawl arm and used the hole for the bolt. (right end of spring) Just above that you can see they milled away a bit (my guess 1/8") of the casting ridge, so the bolt end does not hit it. On the left end of the spring, they drilled a hole (shudder!) through the cover plate, to anchor that end. I hate the idea of this hole but alternatives are few and not as strong imo. I'll document my progress. Suggestions welcome.

spri.jpg

• Like 1

Replaces the nefarious "pawl spring" in the shift mechanism.

You'll only need it if yours breaks and you don't trust the direct replacement.