V11 vs. Sport 1100

swooshdave

I have this book: https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Guzzi-2-valve-big-twins/dp/1845846559/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1490223878&sr=8-7&keywords=moto+guzzi+bookwhich is a little light on details.

I'll look into the other ones.

Ian Falloon is a reliable author, but yeah, check out those other titles. especially Field's book if you're primarily interested in the big twins.

Ian Falloon is a reliable author, but yeah, check out hose other titles. especially Field's book if you're primarily interested in the big twins.

Well, I only have one so far so I need to catch up with some of you!

• 1 year later...

Let's call them all Spine Frames, so that makes them more brothers than cousins!

The different V11 gearbox and frame/geometry transformed the handling nature. Some like(d) it, but a lot did not. Hence the "LongFrame" V11 of 2002-2005(6?) among other changes to tame The Twitchy RedFrame Beastie. ;)

The V11 introduction and design was prompted by Aprilia magnate, Ivan Beggio, hearkening (marketing?) to the 1970s V7 Sport heritage while designer, Luciano Marabese, penned the design as an homage to the 1946-52 racing Gambalunga/Gambalungino using the frame modifications and 6peeder gearbox from the ripened fruit of the days of (DeTomaso's) Dr. John Wittner.

Wittner was quoted as saying that the 6speeder gearbox was more about rotating the "polar moment of inertia" than actually needing another cog. This is a technique he found success with in endurance racing with earlier Moto Guzzi designs. (see "Moto Guzzi Big Twins", Greg Field, 1998, MBI Publishing)

Quite notable that the new V7-II has a redesigned gearbox to rotate the driveline to take advantage of this "polar moment of inertia" business.

I checked search but found no entry on the passing of Ivano Beggio (earlier this year) so thought worth posting what I only recently became aware of myself. It’s appropriate to probably acknowledge him as the Father of our magnificent V11’s if he commissioned Marabese for the design. His contributions to the Italian motorcycle racing and development of riders like Rossi etc is very interesting...E4E0B479-9500-4305-B1B4-88C48DD31FD8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This Mick Walker excerpt indicates the V11 may have been commissioned to Marabese prior to any pre Aprilia managerial involvement.

In understanding the details on who should be accurately credited as the Father of the V11 - Arnoldo Sacchi was at the helm when the V11 SS was first unveiled - so either he made the first call to Marabese according to this ...or maybe even De Tomaso himself (as appointing designers was his modus operandi)!

Marabese was the V11 designer that’s understood. Other sources also point out that that Marabese Design Studio was founded in 1984.

So, my question is has anybody got any evidence for further enlightenment on who it was from Moto Guzzi extended his hand, or picked up the phone and said, “Hey Luciano, go ahead, get on with it!”

15477BC5-E757-4695-9DBE-7708B1D8BC93.jpeg

• Like 2

This Mick Walker excerpt indicates the V11 may have been commissioned to Marabese prior to any pre Aprilia managerial involvement.

In understanding the details on who should be accurately credited as the Father of the V11 - Arnoldo Sacchi was at the helm when the V11 SS was first unveiled - so either he made the first call to Marabese according to this ...or maybe even De Tomaso himself (as appointing designers was his modus operandi)!

Marabese was the V11 designer that’s understood. Other sources also point out that that Marabese Design Studio was founded in 1984.

So, my question is has anybody got any evidence for further enlightenment on who it was from Moto Guzzi extended his hand, or picked up the phone and said, “Hey Luciano, go ahead, get on with it!”

attachicon.gif15477BC5-E757-4695-9DBE-7708B1D8BC93.jpeg

From the Anima Guzzista interview with Luciano Marabese, 2002, I see this (translated) quote from the designer in his answer to the interviewers' sixth question, "And how would you define her [the] Guzzista soul?":

". . .  the V11 is a motorcycle born from evening to morning. I swear to you. It was my idea, presented [in] Guzzi without being requested."

Later in the interview, Marabese says that Ivan Beggio asked him to draw a new Guzzi:

". . . With the advent of Beggio, he said: 'Do you. Draw me the new Guzzi '. "

Yet, the flow of the interview suggests this refers to the Griso, as far I can understand the translation (not the Breva as Marabese responded, "Yes, we did that, too.").

His statement about drawing the V11, of which he was immensely proud, looks emphatic that he drew it one night of his own accord,

"without being requested".

"G.  ... In our opinion, it is one of the most beautiful Guzzi of all time.

M[arabese]. Because it was born in a moment! In one night! ... "

[edit: Thanks, ScooRoo! I edited my Post#7 and #21]

• Like 1

I'm still searching for the right answer, WHAT is it with that fragile Italian thing, they even look good with a cold. Design, check out a sweet Italian V11sport sidecar on Mobile.de. Even a greeni.
IPA time, cheers for 19
Tom

Riding through the hills and along the creeks today on the Sport, I got thinking what an interesting corollary between Luciano Marabese creating the V11Sport design "without being requested" and that Guilio Carcano created the big-block V-twin, similarly, for use in his personal Fiat 500, also "without being requested."

:mg:  Purity combined!  :thumbsup:

I'm still searching for the right answer, WHAT is it with that fragile Italian thing, they even look good with a cold. Design, check out a sweet Italian V11sport sidecar on Mobile.de. Even a greeni.

IPA time, cheers for 19

Tom

Haha, Tom! Even the designer of the V11 himself, Luciano Marabese, could be lost for words what the V11 has that fascinates us:

"And despite everything, this bike, when I see it still leaves me ... (smile) You know it's not normal, eh? I ride bikes and I'm used to it, it's almost a routine, but this bike has something." - Luciano Marabese, Anima Guzzista interview, 2002

Later in the interview, when complimented again on the design of the V11, Marabese says this:

"The bikes for me are sensations and in the V11 a certain libido is combined for some forms with a basic impression of masculine, essential motion."

(I realize this is an awkward internet English translation of what the fine man actually said in Italian.)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

It must have been around 2002? I was in Grand Rapids Michigan and noticed a small Moto Guzzi Dealership (Grand Rapids Guzzi) long out of business now.

I decided to stop in and look around. There on the tiny showroom was a red frame greenie. I was smitten on the spot. I took it for a ride, came back and they wanted to sell it. Offered it to me for $7,500 and it was brand new.

Went to my bank, got a check and picked up my GF and brought her home. Then all of the trouble with Guzzi started and I was worried about whether they were going to remain in business. I had it about a year? 

Sold it to a guy for I think $7,000? Regretted that... she was beautiful.  Glad I have my Scura now. They are still beautiful all these years later. Things probably would be more traditional had Ivano not passed away so untimely.  Piaggio has a reputation it seems of saving historic Italian motorcycle companies, then ignoring their rich history.  They bought Gilera and slapped that name on scooters. 

• Like 2