Finding Fault (San Andreas)

Scud

I rode about 150 miles along the San Andreas Fault today.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-20%20at%206.00.2

I mapped out a bunch of twisty back roads that follow the fault line. Such as this tasty unstriped road.

IMG_5953.jpg

The fault itself is rarely visible on the ground, but it was cool riding along the transition zones that have different features on each side - due to the plates sliding past each other over millions of years. I believe the fault is at the bottom of this valley.

IMG_5955.jpg

Everything was green from last winter's rain - and this hillside is going to explode in purple soon. I saw a few spots with intense early bloomers, but no pics of those, sorry...

IMG_5954.jpg

After leaving the fault line, I headed South on CA-33. This road has been calling me since it denied me recently (due to landslides). So worth it. This section is on the descent toward Ojai.

IMG_5957.jpg

Then on to Neptune's Net on the ocean for a bread-bowl of clam chowder... a quick rip up Mulholland Drive... and an agonizing slog through Los Angeles.

Ride Stats:

• 500 miles
  • 11 hours
  • 6,879 max elevation
  • 4 gas stops
  • 9 California Counties: San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Kern, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles (southern pass), Orange, and back to San Diego.
  • Like 4

Yeah, great day (except for the big stretches of slab to start and finish).  I've been scheming on this ride for a while - staring at maps. I try to do a big ride on or near my birthday (today) - which I don't really celebrate, except as an excuse to go riding on a work-day. And I went in my birthday suit...  by that, I mean I got myself some new riding gear recently. Called it a birthday present.  B)

• Like 2