GPR exhaust with PCIII

bzane

Too weeks ago, installed a GPR exhaust that comes with a "Y" mid pipe a few weeks ago. Put a Power Commander PC3 on the next day.

Quick summary, a lot more power at higher (4500+) rpm. The engine used to go flat at about 6000, now loves to charge up to 8000. Complete personality transformation. Feels smoother and happier. The power is reduced in the 3000-4000 range, but it was torquey enough that this was a good trade-off. Saves about 20-25 lbs.

The 4500/5000 ping is gone.

Went without the (dual!) db-killers. The sound is much nicer than stock. Still quiet until you twist the loud handle, so is a great improvement. Just the sound a stocker *should* have. The flavor of the sound is nice, but nothing special.

Would definitely recommend! Sorry I waited so long, after having the bike 6 years. It is a 2002 LeMans. Makes me certain to keep another 6 years.

Absolutely, positively need the PCIII. The one day without it, it was nasty, surging at 3000 and generally not happy. Only took minutes to install.

Just guessing, I set the PCII for +2 at low, +3 at mid, and +2 at high. Expected to be playing with it a lot, but ran great at those settings immediately, so haven't tweaked it since.

Got the PC from 58cycle and the exhaust from Moto Legends.

Has been very smooth (for a V11), except a hot day in the desert (maybe 90) when I was trolling thru town.

Cosmetically, the single-sided titanium pipe is quite pretty and takes the visual weight off the back. So much so, the bike looks better without the pillion cowl. A surprise.

Question:

Since I've assumed the pipe would lean it, and wanted to fix the freeway ping, I automatically set the PC for the settings above.

Is it possibly running too rich?

If it is too rich, how would I know? Does it matter?

If it is too rich, how would I know? Does it matter?

Look at the plugs. It certainly does. Too rich will wash down the cylinder walls and it won't last another 6 years.  :oldgit:  :2c:

Oh, welcome to the V11 forum, btw..

If you're running the stock 2002 ECU with a PCIII you might want to try the gh67 map in the fileshare section.  It's much better than stock and it should be better than adding fuel across the board.

Thanks for the rich/lean info & map pointer!

Per request, attached are photos.

IMG_0763-2.JPG

IMG_0764-2.JPG

• Like 1

Okay, I give up, what does "Aaaaaah! "Champagne!"" mean? :-)

The color of the '02: "champagne."

One of the most beautiful LeMans colors, IMHO. Everybody knows I love them all, but there are a few that really pop the design language, and I think the champagne is one.  I suspect the red/grey of '02 is more common, but IDK.

Sweet ride, man! :thumbsup::mg:

Ah, per champagne, thought you were referring to maybe running "rich"or the flavor of the sound. :-)

Per the fit of the mounts, it just connects to the two head pipes in the front, and then hangs off the left passengerpeg/mufflerhanger. Like most aftermarket pipes, uses a sleeve on the muffler, so the fit always works. Have to admit I didn't mount it myself, but I suspected the hardest task was going to be removing the old pipe (swear, hammer, swear, heat, cold, swear, hammer) and removing the crossover bracketry (and California canister). Seemed a good choice to let a mechanic do that for 1 1/2 hours.

The PC3 was trivial - remove 4 bolts holding ECU on under the seat, swap connectors, turn the ECU 90 degrees so cables fit nicely, restore 4 bolts.

Per PC3 versus 15M, different strokes for different folks! Reflashing the ECU yields ultimate flexibility... but absolute power corrupts absolutely. I'd spend the next 6 years tweaking it and probably making it worse. I'll likely spend no more than a few days tweaking the PC3 (fewer knobs) and probably can't make it as bad as if I had ultimate flexibility. Refuse to dig out my MSPC to do a detailed PC3 mapping, been there, done that. Am a simpleton, now.

Here's a guy who, in his first five posts, swears three times and hammers twice.  I think your dues are paid, man! :luigi:B)

Regarding PC vs re-mapping . . . why not simply perform a "Decent Tune-up", tweak the CO Fuel Trim as necessary (with guzzidiag) and see how she goes without getting carried away?

• Like 2

I hung the GPR exhaust myself, it was pretty easy. There was a little fiddling necessary to get the muffler bracket where I wanted it, and I needed a couple extra washers and a longer bolt, but it was all "bolt on" type of stuff.

I too have a PC3, the reason being that it makes dyno tuning possible. The ECU can't be updated in real time, certainly not the way it can with a USB connection as easily as the Power Commander, and pretty much all the performance tuning shops here in the US use Dyno Jet stuff. I frankly don't understand the hate for the PC3, it's pretty awesome actually. You can even map each cylinder individually, and swapping out maps is really quick and easy.

• Like 1