'96 1100 sport transmission issues

pitts12driver

I'm rebuilding an inherited '96 1100 sport.  The transmission is rough: output shaft rusty and missing splines, second gear doesn't want to stay engaged.  I'm trying to decide if I rebuild it, or swap it.  Not knowing much about Moto Guzzis (I'm learning - this is my second) - I am trying to understand what else would fit and function well. 

There is a 2006 1100 Breva box on ebay for a decent price - does anyone know if that will bolt up and function???

thx in advance...

You could likely use a gearbox from an older Cali, but I doubt any of the newer CARC gearboxes will work. They certainly won't bolt up. I put a Cali / Bassa gearbox on my Daytona, under advice from Pete Roper. It was a direct bolt up deal. It did change the ratios a little, but other than that it was cake. I think the 5 speed Sport can use the same range of gearboxes. There are a lot of Cali / Bassa gearboxes out there.

The Kid has the internals from a 5 speed helical box that you could have for the price of shipping and what he has in it. (shipping cost from Australia) Probably around $150 or so plus shipping

Looks useable to me.