Adjusting steering head bearings / suspension set up

mjseymo

Hi All,

Can you tell what is the process step by step for adjusting my steeing head bearings on a 2001 V11? They are just a little on the tight side. Also, (and I know this depends on the weight of the rider etc) but what have people generally found to be a good set up on the compression and rebound settings of the front forks. Mine is pre Ohlins set up.

Thanks for your help -

M

It will end up being " personal preference " as to how snug or loose you want them . With the front off the ground some want them to fall to the left or right when they are off center . Others want them to stay where you leave them . It's up to you .

As a short timer on Guzzi's I'm no authority.  But on Airhead Beemers, you wanted the wheel to fall to the side "gently".  If the wheel didn't fall, that was too tight, and it would prevent a normal amount of self centering and exacerbate the "gummy cow" problem they had.  If it just flopped over, that was too loose and the bearings could vibrate in the race and cause divots, which also messed up the handling.  

BTW, any steering dampers have to be dis-connected for this test.