Jinxed.. stripped oil drain

Gio

Thanks for all advice ... sump now off and getting everything ready to try the heli-coil ... probably good timing as I see some of the paint flaking off the UFI filter (and not where the safety clamp is) ..!

Thanks for all advice ... sump now off and getting everything ready to try the heli-coil ... probably good timing as I see some of the paint flaking off the UFI filter (and not where the safety clamp is) ..!

I really don't like those UFIs..

• Like 1

Drain plug is 10 x 1.5mm pitch ... and have been able to source helicoil kit in that size at my local Canadian Tire - so I'm thinking to give that a go and then use the blanking plug "B" for future draining so as to reduce stress on the repair ... or do you think it's worth the additional time / expense of sourcing a time-sert (if available) ..?

The helicoil repair is a stainless steel thread, I believe it's stronger than the original thread into soft aluminum.

I read somewhere that aircraft have helicoils installed from day one, can anyone verify that?

I can confirm they come as std fitment on fuel filter housings on GE CFM56-7 gas turbine engines. I've had enough of them come out when pulling the filter cover to know. I prefer Timeserts myself.

Ciao

From feedback here, plus some googling ... opinion seems to fall into 2 camps - a) time sert preferred or B) either would be ok ... given an equal choice I would probably have gone with time-sert but am justifying the quicker / less expensive option as there is an alternate port from which to drain the oil in future (and check / clean the magnet every other oil change when the pan is dropped for an oil filter ... now planning on switching to an alternate based on the flaking paint on the one I just removed!)

Thanks again for all feedback ... good to be back on the road.

I quit using the hose clamps after I quit using the UFI filters.  :rasta: I'm convinced they had gasket manufacturing issues that caused the whole debacle. I see from this thread they have paint prep issues, too.. I've been wanting to use this emoticon..Hey UFI!  :moon:

:D

I would never do a Helicoil if Timesert is an option. I've had to pick out way too many failed Helicoils.

I did the drain plug on my Norton with a Timesert. Take your time, follow the instructions, easy peasy.

• 1 year later...