Oil pressure during cranking (first start jitters!)

Craig

What about before installing the front cover and oil pump drive you use a piece of rubber FI hose on a battery drill to spin and prime the pump, the oil cooler and at the same time check for flow to the heads. Then put the drive on the oil pump and the cam chain etc and button it up?

Ciao

I installed my pump dry (oil film on the inside, that's it) and installed my filter (UFI) dry as well. Then, I rebuilt the entire engine, except for the valve covers and cam chain. I took out the front main bearing and filled the crankshaft and oil supply line with a lot of oil (took some time), until I was under the impression nothing was going in anymore. Then I reinstalled the front main bearing, filled the sump with oil and put my battery drill with a flat screw bit to the flat line in the oil pump. After turning anti-clockwise at around 400rpm for somewhat like 1-2mins, I had oil at the rockers!

One tip: as soon as the drill slows down just a bit because of pressure-buildup, slow down! Otherwise you may have to clean the workshop and go for a shower straight after (how do I know? something with bubbles of air in the oil line and stored energy :bbblll: )

• Like 1

After turning anti-clockwise at around 400rpm for somewhat like 1-2mins, I had oil at the rockers!

I think the is the key.  I was expecting to get some pressure after 10-15 seconds of cranking.  Nothing like 1-2 minutes.  I think I will pull the timing chest and spin it up with a drill.

Since I haven't found anything conclusive I am going to install a new filter (primed with oil this time since that is my normal practice) and try pressing up with the starter motor. 

Did you do this already? What about pouring oil in the oil pressure sender hole to help prime the system?

I am going to call this a false alarm due to jitters.  I put in a Bosch filter, prefilled it as I normally do then just let it crank for about 90 seconds and oil pressure came up to about 80 PSI at the gauge just using the starter.  I will finish assembling the bike and actually start the stupid thing this Thursday if family commitments do not interfere.

• Like 3