Reaction Rod Bushing Replacement

Tom M

The reaction rod that attaches to the bevel box and the frame has rubber and steel bushings pressed into each end at the factory.  They can wear out and create unwanted movement of the bevel box and slop in the drive train.  Replacement bushings are not available from Moto Guzzi, and I was unable to find replacements anywhere else.  I did find some spherical bearings that could be pressed into the reaction rod, but since they are thinner than the bushings they replaced and they have a larger ID I needed to have a set of custom made spacers made.  Once those were done I put everything together and it seems to work just as it should.

I attached a drawing with specs for the custom spacers and McMaster-Carr part numbers for the bearings and seals.  I'll post a few pics in another post.

MOTO GUZZI V11 REACTION ROD WITH SPHERICAL BEARINGS.PDF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's an easy fix for someone like you who has a lathe in his shop Chuck.  It took my machinist quite a while to get around to making those spacers for me.  I can't blame him for taking his time.  There's no money to be made doing little jobs like this.

That is nicely done, Tom! :thumbsup:    Would it benefit from some seals (O-rings?) on each side to keep the weather out?

I've always thought properly dimensioned Delrin bushings would be ideal replacements. Cheap material, easy to work, press out the old ones, in with the new and *roberto è tuo zio.*

That is nicely done, Tom! :thumbsup:    Would it benefit from some seals (O-rings?) on each side to keep the weather out?

I've always thought properly dimensioned Delrin bushings would be ideal replacements. Cheap material, easy to work, press out the old ones, in with the new and *roberto è tuo zio.*

Those would be easy to make, and cheap..   :) *I don't know* if they would be better than Tom's, though. How long would they wear, forinstance.. 

Tom's solution is the best I have seen, by far; assuming one wants to keep the original rod. (I do! :mg: )

I know a guy that has put some serious miles on a set of Delrin bushings. I'll have to check in with him for a report . . .

I did use seals Doc.  They're laying on the bench to the left of the rod in the picture above, and they're shown in the drawing in the first post.

I think delrin bushings would be a little like using solid aluminum.  It could work but the hole in the middle will probably wear into an oval and get sloppy over time.

• Like 1

I did use seals Doc.  They're laying on the bench to the left of the rod in the picture above, and they're shown in the drawing in the first post.

I think delrin bushings would be a little like using solid aluminum.  It could work but the hole in the middle will probably wear into an oval and get sloppy over time.

That is my guess, too.. but Delrin has a *lot* of natural lubricity. I'd think it would be better than aluminum..

• 6 months later...