Green + Attitude = Gratitude

Scud

I enjoyed SwooshDave’s hunt for a greenie a little too much… it’s definitely contagious.  And look who checked in for rehab at Scud’s home for neglected V11s.

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6006.jpg

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6004.jpg

The Good

• Low price (like parts-bike low, or “what’s really wrong with it?” low)
  • New tires (like the tires are worth 10% of what I paid for the whole bike)
  • 5,250 miles, seems complete and (with some exceptions) unmolested
  • Starts easily, shifts well, suspension is good, brakes and clutch work
  • Previous owner is son of original owner – says his dad bought it new, barely rode it, then parked it (in Florida where some salty-air found it… see “The Ugly”)
  • Green paint is in excellent condition – with a few minor scuffs/scratches
  • Evap canisters and hose-monster are already gone
  • Original tool roll
  • Yellow assembly paint still on things like TPS screws – suggesting it hasn’t been messed with much.
  • Both needles on the Veglia Gauges are orange – and they still work.
  • Mistral exhaust
  • Color-matched flyscreen included (but was not on bike)
  • Moto Guzzi branded tank bag (Made in USA, so probably a dealer add-on)
  • Billet head-guards 

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6032.jpg

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6023.jpg

The Bad

• Runs like crap
  • Transmission leak (but does not appear to be cracked case)
  • Somebody’s been messing with the wiring… and there is green electrical tape in unexpected places
  • Dash lights don’t work
  • License plate light housing is gone
  • The new tires are Dunlop Sportmax Q3s, which I assume will burn off in 3,500 miles – and the rear is a 180, which doesn’t fit right
  • No records or manual included
  • Electric petcock
  • Badly cracked intake rubbers
  • Battery leak has destroyed the battery tray – and dripped onto swingarm, causing rust

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6017.jpg

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6019.jpg

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6022.jpg

The Ugly

• Incorrect breather hose. This garden-hose-green is a fashion failure and greenie-attitude inhibitor.
  • Surface corrosion – especially on the headers, and on lots of fasteners
  • Has been down on the right – damage to the Mistral and a few other small bits
  • Silver paint starting to peel or blister on heads, barrels, rocker covers, alternator cover, and a few other little spots
  • Weirdly, the front turn signals are different than the rears (maybe one broke in the tip-over)
  • All four chrome Aguilas missing (but found them in great condition in the tank bag)

The immediate problem:

It runs like crap, which is why the PO sold it. He said he had been fussing with it and gave up – and he really wants a BMW 1200 GSA. It idles a bit rough, but the real problem starts at about 3,500 RPM or any time it gets more than ½ throttle. It just coughs and cuts out – will not go faster unless eased in, then I can get it close to 5,000 before the problem appears. I had to truck it home, not ride it.

What I’ve done:

• New Omron relays
  • Ran a little seafoam through the system (20 miles of going slow)
  • Adjusted valves to .008”I and .010”E (they were at about .005”I and .007”E)
  • New spark plugs and replaced damaged RH plug wire cap
  • Shined up the head guards (can’t put a dirty part back on) and replaced the exhaust cap nuts (since they were fugly and I had a set on the bench)

What’s up next:

• All fluids and a Roper Plate (I’m getting pretty good at putting those in)
  • Air, fuel, and oil filters
  • Clean TBs, injectors, and replace rubber boots
  • Electrical investigation
  • 160 rear tire (will mount the super-sticky 180 on the Scura at next opportunity)
  • Lollipop mirrors need to go
  • Spend a week in New York while the supplies roll in at home

And if all that doesn’t work, I have a spare manual petcock. The bad running feels like a fuel restriction to me (but there could also be a mouse-house in the air filter). I was wondering if the electric petcock (after extended periods of non-use) can fail to open all the way and therefore not allow enough fuel for high-RPM operation.

• Like 4

Well, I gotta get the Champagne LeMans running before the Greenie explodes in the garage. They're all lovely and it will be hard to decide which one to keep in the stable with the Scura.

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6052.jpg

I already got "busted" for stashing the BMW on the side yard under a cover last week. But the BMW's hanging out at the airport this week.

...and doesn't the candy apple red rocker cover look kind of good near the candy apple green motorcycle?

• Like 3

I'm afraid someone needs to do an intervention.. this spiney problem is getting out of hand. I know, you say you can quit any time, but... you can see what is happening if you look through other's eyes.

• Like 3

Interventions must be conducted in person. Bring riding gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Congrat's on the new Greenie Scud!  I'm interested in hearing how you like the shorter red frame compared to your newer models once you get it sorted.

A couple suggestions:

- Flip the ECU over so the connector is facing down.  My bike came with the connector facing up like yours and I had an ECU failure due to the seat flexing enough to hit the ECU connector which eventually cracked an etch on the ECU PC board.

- Replace those cracked intake boots ASAP.  It will never run right if those are leaky.

Wow...what a collection you've got going there now Scud, must be difficult to figure out which one to take out every day now!

If you need space to work on the Greenie, I'll be happy to take Darth Vader out of the garage for a bit for a trip around the block!

Scura, Greenie, Champagne, Reddie

All you need now is a Limoncello V11 and you've got a full house!