Green + Attitude = Gratitude

Scud

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6117.jpg

She's cleaning up nicely... cleaning TBs and replacing boots. Gonna try running it with the champagne tank with the manual petcock. It occured to me that the electric petcock might only open partially - which could cause the apparent fuel starvation. Air box and filter are like new - so that's one thing ruled out. 

The mirrors "fell off" as some chrome Napoleons arrived while I was in NY.

• Like 1

Here's my trouble-shooting for today:

1. Replaced all four throttle body rubbers, and ran it with the tank from the Champagne bike (needed to wire up an electronic petcock bypass plug so it would run - but did not make a "go-winkie" out of it.) It still had the severe hesitation and cut-out around 3,500 rpm or at about 1/2 throttle. I did notice that the oil light came on at start - and it had not previously come on with the green tank. The PO said he had been working on some trouble with the dash lights.

2. Based on the above I hoped the problem would be a blocked fuel filter. So I replaced it with a Wix 33310 (and a wrap of leftover dirt-bike inner tube to get it to fit in the clamps). While I was in there I also put on a correct breather hose and got rid of all the PO's bright yellow zip ties (replaced with black).

3. Green tank back on... oil light no longer comes on with key... runs even worse... barely starts then dies... put gas in tank... Much better.... But not good enough. It idles OK, but still a little rough. There is still the 3,500 RPM cut-out that makes it unrideable. Next up is electrical stuff - Guzzi Diag, TPS, basic tune-up (but valve adjustment already done).

4. Transmission leak is enough to be concerned about - it's dripping onto the crossover. It seems to be leaking from between the cases.

...and here's a one-man tank-compression installation technique:

post-9991-0-68080900-1493519460_thumb.jp

I did notice that the oil light came on at start - and it had not previously come on with the green tank.

Sounds kind of magical..  :grin: so I'd guess that removing and installing the tank is disturbing that mess of connectors up around the steering head. I think I'd do the De Oxit trick with all of them.  :oldgit:

• Like 2

Another possibility might be that the fuel injectors are partially plugged.   It's probably a long shot, but it should be relatively easy to pull each injector in turn to check the spray pattern and flow.

Good Luck -- love the original V11 color.

Yes... but the suspense will keep building because today was for riding (Scura) and housework. Tomorrow is a BMW-blast up the freeway to Los Angeles for work on Tuesday.

Rox - it's a 2000. The early seat pan from the Corbin was too much work to make fit your 2002 bike, right? Bummer.

Docc - have you found a good frame touch-up paint? I saw something about a tool-box red available in the UK, but I couldn't find it for sale in the US. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17330

The frame just has one chip near the steering bearing and the tabs are rusty where they connected to the rotted-out battery tray. Otherwise, the frame looks near new... all naked in the California sun and not afraid to flaunt it...

Seems the best match I found was Testor's Italian Red. I was informed that "model paint" would have no proper hardeners for an "automotive" application, but I figured it would be ok for touch up.

I remember the talk about that UK tool box (Halibrand?) paint. At the time, I wondered if Craftsman toolbox red (or even this HF red) would be a good match, but IDK.

I believe this the red frame paint that is closest.  It's 1959 Corvette (Roman) Red, now called Chrysler Flame Red by Duplicolor at the store.

I bought some to paint the transmission cradle made up to fix my Greenie, it was mentioned elsewhere on the board and it looks to my eye like a very close match.

Here's the Duplicolor  BCC0419.  I found it in stock at the auto parts store.

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/paint-spray-can-and-touch-up/dupli-color-flame-red-perfect-match-paint/59648_0_0

• Like 2

I believe this the red frame paint that is closest.  It's 1959 Corvette (Roman) Red, now called Chrysler Flame Red by Duplicolor at the store.

I bought some to paint the transmission cradle made up to fix my Greenie, it was mentioned elsewhere on the board and it looks to my eye like a very close match.

Here's the Duplicolor  BCC0419.  I found it in stock at the auto parts store.

http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/paint-spray-can-and-touch-up/dupli-color-flame-red-perfect-match-paint/59648_0_0

I wonder how that would last on the valve covers.

I don't know but  would imagine that you spray a couple dozen valve covers with that can.  I like them factory gray.  

The PO painted the head crash guards red on mine and it looks factory.  

I like them factory gray.  

Don't call it gray... Docc thinks it's silver.  Shhhh....  I also like the stock color - and the red lettering is quite a nice touch. I like the polished head-guards that came with this bike, and think some polished foot levers might in her near future (they are crusty-corroded now).

While I was testing the champagne tank with the manual petcock, I put the green tank over the candy red covers. It was really fun for a few minutes, but it's a bit too much for my taste and I don't think I would like it long term. The word "lurid" comes to mind: very vivid in color, especially so as to create an unpleasantly harsh or unnatural effect.

Original RedFrame valve covers, head guards, and foot levers were the same *satin* silver-ish grey.  Nothing polished.

Grigio! :grin::mg: