Green + Attitude = Gratitude

Scud

Original RedFrame valve covers, head guards, and foot levers were the same *satin* silver-ish grey.  Nothing polished.

Grigio! :grin::mg:

But you polished your foot levers - or at least the shifter. I remember seeing a picture and thinking that looked quite good.

Candy Lime Green bike and the guy is worried about being to garish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Original RedFrame valve covers, head guards, and foot levers were the same *satin* silver-ish grey.  Nothing polished.

Grigio! :grin::mg:

But you polished your foot levers - or at least the shifter. I remember seeing a picture and thinking that looked quite good.

True. When the Sport was down for the 2003 crash and I was waiting on a swingarm (that ended up coming from Germany with Paul Minneart's help), I couldn't keep my hands off and decided to polish the shift lever. I *suppose* I like it that way, but probably would not have done it if the Sport weren't down for those four months. "Idle hands", you know . . .

The original Marabese monochromatic design almost everything is muted (controls, valve covers, headguards, triples, even the exhaust and forks to an extent). Only the headlight ring, instrument bezels, and a thin trim around the tail light are bright. I think all that adds up to making the RedFrame really *pop*, and even the vast majority of that is hidden. :mg:

• 3 weeks later...

... that adds up to making the RedFrame really *pop*, 

The green also has a certain *pop* to it.

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6162.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

So... I'm going in... The transmission leak is too bad to ignore - every time I start the bike I smell burning gear oil from the crossover.

I'm almost ready to crab the frame - just gonna let a few bolts soak overnight.  Hopefully, I can pull the tranny after work tomorrow. And that will leave me plenty of room to inspect the wiring harness. I already undid two of the three sections that had green electrical tape. Somebody had cut into the black sleeve around the harness, but I can find no evidence of damage or modifications. One more "green-tape" section to go, this one by the ECU.

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6429.jpg

I also cleaned the ignition switch and replaced the bulb for the neutral light. Little by little... till we figure out what is causing the very bad running at about 3,500 RPM. Could it be from an exhaust leak (or two).  Given the black on the RH pipe, this looks like a pretty big exhuast leak - I've heard these bike are very sensitive to exhuast leaks - but how does that show? Could this leak cause the bike to have severe sputtering (like fuel starvation)?

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6430.jpg

From my experience I can say that it makes not very much difference whether you have a leak there or not.

But I notice that the engine is running way too rich. Maybe because it does hardly run at all actually. Nonetheless I'd check the head temperature sensor next, if you haven't done it alreadyet.

The manifolds should be grey or even white on the first 3 or 4 inches.

It's a nice photo for Tinitus as it proofs that most V11 are built somewhat differently to what the books say. The Greenies at least:)

Good good luck with exhaust leak.  .  

You say that you have a tranny leak too?  Good luck.  Are you going to get the reinforcement bracket?

Good idea to check the temp sensor. When I get the tranny out I will try to clean/test every electrical connection and sensor. I have found that the dash lights sometimes come on with the ignition, and sometimes don't - but the bike still starts even when the lights are out (even after cleaning ignition switch).

The exhaust leak shouldn't be too hard - just some new gaskets and proper tightening. 

And the tranny leak - I'll just split it, clean it, and reseal it (assuming no cracks). LowRyter - I sent you a PM about the bracket.

And on the exhaust for Tinitus - this 2000 model has the single-piece flanges. But I have seen the 3-piece crown with inserts - bought a set by mistake when I was trying to replace the crossover headers on my 2003 bike. I think the 3-piece was from a 1999 bike.

Scud, PM sent regarding the bracket and (hopefully not) possible crack.

Since you have a LeMans, you'll note the bottom rails on the LeMans frame that aren't on the Red Frame.