Bouncing speedometer needle

RHIP

At around 70, it begins to dance, gets worse as the speed increased. During a particularly spirited run, I glanced down and saw it was pegged at 160 (I wish). It did come back to reality once I dropped down to about 80, but this condition is gradually getting worse. I hav the original cable in, about 14K on the bike - is this a cable issue, something with the drive, or the instrument itself? Any point in replacing the cable? Thanks!

Inspect the lower angle drive. It could be loose (rotationally) , separated (axially) , or the metal "disc" getting pushed out.

Cz-

My speedometer was jumping.  I lubed the drive and cable and it didn't help.  It finally froze of me.  Joel overhauled it for about $300.  Got it back to me in a couple of weeks. 

Joel told me he does this as a retirement business and owns a stock of Vegia parts.  He also said that Veglia quality of this vintage is pretty poor (which is no surprise).  Anyway, he fixed it so that it's about as accurate as any motorcycle speedo I've ever ridden.  Again, I have no idea how long it will last because of the OEM quality and replacement parts.  

All in all, I recommend him.  The Speed Hut seems to work for many here, I just wanted to keep mine original.