V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

I agree in general about the modern BMWs not aging well. In the brick series, I only find the K100RS and the K75S still attractive. The first oilhead R1100RT may prove to be a timeless design (for a touring bike).

But... I get only an occasional compliment on my old brick. By contrast, I took the Greenie out yesterday and probably caused 20 cases of neck strain from passersby. As I was walking back to my bike, I noticed a couple holding hands walking past the greenie. She kept walking, he turned his neck, then whole body, then stopped. He looked like a dog who had found a good smell and she looked like the disinterested owner who was tugging on the leash. Cracked me up. That story is evidence of a good design.

• Like 1

The Lemans fairing topped it off for me

always loved Moto Guzzis approach to wind control

I would only put an old SP Guzzi up to the V11  

Comparison to anything but a V twin seems secondary as that is where a good bit of the appeal lies

you can go a lot quicker for sure but does it tickle you the way it should

These bikes were produced when everybody was into the V twin game. At 80 odd horsepower they just made more sense 

The Moto Guzzi is a peach, Ducati a plum. BMW compares as a fig -although I would probably grab an old toaster tank just to talk to the lesbians

• Like 1

Always thought the original T3 Speed Triple was a similar sort of animal to the V11, quick enough, has a presence about it a little old school and relatively rare.Gallery-triumph-t3-passion.info-28.jpg

I test rode one just like it.  Ended up with the Bandit which is lighter and more powerful.  

I know three or four riders that own Thunderbird Sports, which are tarted up version of this one.  

I know it's not really a V11 rival because it's so much newer, but have any of you ridden one of the new Thruxton 1200s yet?  I'm wondering how it's motor and handling compare to a well sorted V11.

triumph-thruxton-r-gear-patrol-slide-1-9

This will be my next "new" bike in a couple of years when the used prices are half of what they cost new.

I rode one and my mate has one..very good bike, engine is a peach , handling superb and ATD is up there. Prices won't drop to 50% for a long long time as they are in such high demand. A 3yr old bike with average mileage will still be 70-75% I would say. Very small bikes too, not like the V11.

yep ^^^  I have what I thought might be a rival , but it is not ... a 1998 Triumph Thumderbird Sport 

triumph-thunderbird-1998-3.jpg

I sold mine last year as I was so disappointed with it. Very dated and the engine is lacking any grunt at all. Lovely looking bike once you get that rear tail light changed . A customer of mine bought it from me so I get to see it now and again.

Here it is

7681939669521a363e1f96138133d26c1c2689f9

This one's got the looks, the motor, the pedigree. Never going to see one in the US, but anyone know anything about the Moto Morini Sport 1200?

Moto%20Morini%201200%20Sport%2008.jpg

• Like 1

This one's got the looks, the motor, the pedigree. Never going to see one in the US, but anyone know anything about the Moto Morini Sport 1200?

Moto%20Morini%201200%20Sport%2008.jpg

Looks like an old SV1000 which I understand was a great bike. 

picture-1.jpg

I know it's not really a V11 rival because it's so much newer, but have any of you ridden one of the new Thruxton 1200s yet?  I'm wondering how it's motor and handling compare to a well sorted V11.

triumph-thruxton-r-gear-patrol-slide-1-9

This will be my next "new" bike in a couple of years when the used prices are half of what they cost new.

I rode one and my mate has one..very good bike, engine is a peach , handling superb and ATD is up there. Prices won't drop to 50% for a long long time as they are in such high demand. A 3yr old bike with average mileage will still be 70-75% I would say. Very small bikes too, not like the V11.

Good to know, as soon as they drop to around 8-9k I will be a player.  Hopefully that might happen when they are around 3-4 years old.  

Haven't been too keen on the older series as they supposedly don't handle all that well.  I have never ridden one personally though.