V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

We had a local dealer here in Wellington that had these new around 2008/9 he struggled to move them, I think people liked the look but generally went with the Ducati Monster which he also sold if they went italian. Because like Benelli and Bimota they seem to pop in and out of bankcrupty/insolvancy at an alarming rate people were even more reluctant to splash the cash than they would be on a Guzzi because of dealer support/spares issues. Reviews at the time were also somewhat lukewarm.

• Like 1

If memory serves me correct, they were on display at the Orlando, Fl. EICMA(?) show several years ago and pretty sure they are manufactured in China.    

• 4 weeks later...

So... what about the 2004/2005 Ducati 1000 Supersport? I am contemplating a trade of my red LeMans for this bike:

IMG_7127.jpg

It's an air-cooled V-Twin that makes only about 85 HP. Styling and suspension obviously more race-oriented than the V11 LeMans. But it's one of the last air-cooled, dry-clutch Ducatis. Sort of the end of an era like the V11 is to Moto Guzzi. This bike would have been in showrooms at the same time as the very last V11s and I think priced similarly at the time. They can be had for about the same (or less) than an Ohlins-equipped V11.

You should do it. You don't love your LeMans anyway, so what. Termingnoni are adequate..

You've seen that at least one screw of the fairing is missing already? Missing small things in the engine and you'll have forgotten all your V11 spring problems in less then a blink.

Those Termis look exactly like the Moto Guzzi Kit Racing Titanium exhaust - even the hangers and rubber straps look the same. Same brakes as V11 too (but 100 pounds less bike to stop).

Having come from the Ducati fold myself those are the red headed stepchild of the Ducati line. Not overly good looking. Not overly great to ride. Pretty terrible riding position. So so reliability. Slow seller that tends to be cheap for a reason. Now.. find an earlier 900ss/sp. Thats worth talking about.

If you are intent on it be sure you have belts and valve maintenance records.

Yeah, the previous gen 900 SS, especially the Super Light version. That was a sweet bike (in yellow or the dark green). Not a fan of the PT version. But I reckon you don't have to look at it while riding.

• Like 1

I've ridden the 2nd Gen Duc SS (at Sturgis in 2000).  In fact, it's the only Ducati I've ever ridden.  I believe it was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden.  My neck was really cramped trying to look down the road.  Power was nothing special (compared to my Suzuki Bandit).  The carryover thought to me was the road seemed to be much wider, it seemed the width of the road felt 4 motorcycle lanes wide instead of three.

I am told the Gen 1 is a more comfortable bike.

Having come from the Ducati fold myself those are the red headed stepchild of the Ducati line. Not overly good looking. Not overly great to ride. Pretty terrible riding position. So so reliability. Slow seller that tends to be cheap for a reason. Now.. find an earlier 900ss/sp. Thats worth talking about.

If you are intent on it be sure you have belts and valve maintenance records.

At least it's better looking that this travesty.

2006-Ducati-Multistrada-1000DSaa.jpg?d=1