V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

Having come from the Ducati fold myself those are the red headed stepchild of the Ducati line. Not overly good looking. Not overly great to ride. Pretty terrible riding position. So so reliability. Slow seller that tends to be cheap for a reason. Now.. find an earlier 900ss/sp. Thats worth talking about.

If you are intent on it be sure you have belts and valve maintenance records.

At least it's better looking that this travesty.

2006-Ducati-Multistrada-1000DSaa.jpg?d=1

Nope.  I would prefer this.  Seriously :)  

Example

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/mcy/d/2001-ducati-supersport-750/6349339402.html

This one has been on the market for over 60 days.  Price seems reasonable.  2200 miles is low.  Doesn't sell. ;)  

But these... oh these are pretty things :)

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/mcy/d/ducati-900-ss-sp-collector/6360605374.html

However... save for one of these

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/d/2007-ducati-sport-1000-onlykm/6379011717.html

If it's about V11Sport Rivals then he should consider bying one out of the ST series. Or just overlook Ducati at all. They are radical bikes, nothing like a Gran Tourismo after my personal definition.

German Link: https://www.motorradonline.de/gebrauchte-motorraeder/gebrauchtberatung-ducati-st2-3-und-4.347269.html

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_st2.htm

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_st3%2004.htm

Hmm... the Ducati 1000 Supersport is a polarizing motorcycle. Lucky Phil has a yellow one and likes it. It think it's a good looking bike, but not as good looking as several others. I bought a Sport 1000 when they came out. I enjoyed it for a while, but they are way overpriced and collectible now. It had the same motor (1000DS) as the Supersport and it was plenty fast for my riding style. It was miserable as a commuter but close to perfect in the mountains. I assume the 1000 Supersport would be an even worse commuter, and potentially even more fun in the mountains. 

I wasn't out shopping for a Ducati; this just surfaced as a potentially interesting trade when somebody asked if I would sell my LeMans. I was thinking I might like to try riding the track and this could be a good bike to do it on - and still be useable on the street. 

Hmm... the Ducati 1000 Supersport is a polarizing motorcycle. Lucky Phil has a yellow one and likes it. It think it's a good looking bike, but not as good looking as several others. I bought a Sport 1000 when they came out. I enjoyed it for a while, but they are way overpriced and collectible now. It had the same motor (1000DS) as the Supersport and it was plenty fast for my riding style. It was miserable as a commuter but close to perfect in the mountains. I assume the 1000 Supersport would be an even worse commuter, and potentially even more fun in the mountains. 

I wasn't out shopping for a Ducati; this just surfaced as a potentially interesting trade when somebody asked if I would sell my LeMans. I was thinking I might like to try riding the track and this could be a good bike to do it on - and still be useable on the street. 

Whatever you want to do we will have fun watching it!  Perhaps if track days are in your future take a look for an Aprilia.  Gen 1 RSV... Tuono Racing, maybe even a Falco ;)  RSVR if you enjoy the position... lol.  Which I did not, for street riding anyway.

Ducati 749, 998... 999... 848  Could be fun.  Have seen guys track ST4s as well.  Legendary 4 valve motor in those ones, Ohlins and Forged Machesinis.  Some consider it the best sport touring bike ever.  

Anyway... I am certainly curious to the next one you add.  

My flavor of the month pairing with a big heavy donk like a Guzzi is an old school 2t.

Vintage track bike? Check. Totally tuneable to the perpetual tinkerer? Check. Lightweight? Check. Parts are abundant and cheap, plus they are stupid fun!

No shortage of answers when a guy is looking at bikes,eh?

old school 2t.

No shortage of answers when a guy is looking at bikes,eh?

Glad you are still digging the 2-stroke. And yes, there are many good used bikes available for low prices.

But this thread started off looking at V11 Sport Rivals. I wouldn't have the Ducati instead of a V11, only next to a V11. But I can think of some local roads where I would prefer a Duck over a Goose.

"But this thread started off looking at V11 Sport Rivals. I wouldn't have the Ducati instead of a V11, only next to a V11. But I can think of some local roads where I would prefer a Duck over a Goose."

I'm tracking you sir. The duc would be a consideration for me as well, given your position (extra Guzzi's) It's a great rival bike, if not "the" closest rival. All of it is eye candy to me, but for the fairing and tail. The rest is yummy. Around here they get used for track bikes because they are less desirable ahem..in the appearance category, hence -cheaper. Some of the street customs I've seen utilize them as well, replacing the ugly with retro bodywork. Yet another rationalization for me would be a larger market for selling the duc, after you've tried her out. I don't mean to offend anyone, I think they blew it with that look.

this one's a 900ss, but the same basic bike. I looovvee this bike!

union_ducati.jpeg

Ha! 100% right. We are just trying to help you spend your money Scud.

All in good fun. You can help me ride 'em too - if you get bored of winter and feel like traveling.

And Pierre Terblanche. He gets criticized for some designs... but he also gave Ducati the MH900E, the Sport Classics (including the gorgeous Paul Smart version) and the Hypermotard. 

Ha! 100% right. We are just trying to help you spend your money Scud.

All in good fun. You can help me ride 'em too - if you get bored of winter and feel like traveling.

And Pierre Terblanche. He gets criticized for some designs... but he also gave Ducati the MH900E, the Sport Classics (including the gorgeous Paul Smart version) and the Hypermotard.

So one decent bike (PS) and the others are shit. The MH? The swingarm us fascinating but who doesn’t want to vomit at the fake Bevel sump hanging off the front?

Well, to close out my potential trade... I rode the 1000 Supersport this morning and quite like it - both looks and performance.  I find it attractive in person - better than the photos. Although this particular example had some nice features, there was too much wrong and it would become a big project for me to get it to the condition I would want it. So it won't be coming home.

Besides that, I really want an ADV bike anyway.

I have a 1000 Supersport and love it. Engine above 5k is sublime , brakes , handles very well indeed. Also very comfortable for me. Same engine as the Classics but with far better suspension for a fraction of the price. I paid £2200 for mine and it's mint.19651757a42b383dd28c3688437d31eb2ecd0739

• Like 1

I know it's not really a V11 rival because it's so much newer, but have any of you ridden one of the new Thruxton 1200s yet?  I'm wondering how it's motor and handling compare to a well sorted V11.

triumph-thruxton-r-gear-patrol-slide-1-9

This will be my next "new" bike in a couple of years when the used prices are half of what they cost new.

I rode one and my mate has one..very good bike, engine is a peach , handling superb and ATD is up there. Prices won't drop to 50% for a long long time as they are in such high demand. A 3yr old bike with average mileage will still be 70-75% I would say. Very small bikes too, not like the V11.

I rode one at a demo day.  Pencil thin, lightweight, excellent suspension, and a very smooth motor.  Too smooth for me, in fact.  Honda-like.

I also rode a new Multi-Strada and a Ducati Scrambler Cafe (or some such name.  Hard to keep up sometimes.)  The Multi was unusual in that the motor took a lot of revs.  150 hp, but I was expecting more bottom end.

By far, my favorite was the little Duck.  It has the 2V air-cooled motor which is spectacular.  Flat torque curve and plenty of power for me.  So light and flickable that it would be a delight on back roads.