V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

Back to bikinis  . . .  now we're talking . . .

Hey, Moto Guzzi showed the  Marabese designed  V11 Sport at EICMA in 1997 as a "naked," no fairings, no *flyscreen*, not even a bikini! :o

For the record, the only photo I have of the V11 Sport introduction at EICMA/Milan 1997, the bike is black.

(Calm down, Scud! :ninja: )

There is no way way you can look at that, and say that Luciano Marabese did not get the knee insets perfect on the tank . . .

Seriously, the only photo I have ever seen from the V11 Sport introduction at EICMA/Milan 1997 is clipped out of a magazine: RedFrame/ black body work.

As far as I know, no one has come up with any other photos of the EICMA display that introduced the V11  . . .

gallery_328_223_561466.jpeg

• Like 1

I know it's not really a V11 rival because it's so much newer, but have any of you ridden one of the new Thruxton 1200s yet?  I'm wondering how it's motor and handling compare to a well sorted V11.

triumph-thruxton-r-gear-patrol-slide-1-9

Speaking of Marabese, I have scans of the original proposal for a Sport Touring version of the V11 done in 2000.

Mike

Marabese V11 LeMans Proposal smaller.jpg

• Like 2

I know I've said this before, but I love saying it again while I type it:

MV Agusta Gran Turismo Otto Cento Veloce Lusso . . .

turismo-veloce7.jpg

Or, for the racer in you, the RC:

tv_rc_news.jpg

I would dearly love to see, and hear, one of these in person. :food:

docc- a friend of mine has an MV "Brutale" .  They sound AWESOME!!!!!  Other than our Guzzis, I still get a kick every time I ride my "old" 2003 Rotax powered Aprilia.

czakky, buddy .  ..that may the shortest post ever to take a rapid-fire comeback!

Way to light up the mavens, man! :oldgit: You'd think it was January! :grin:

He's probably not far off. Same vintage as the V11 Sport. Mostly the same specs. Seat cowl, fairing, shaft drive...

BMW_R1100S_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

BMW%20R1100S%20Boxercup%20stickers%206.j

That yellow is tasty.

Had a black one for a year or so and it was a let down. Pretty bike. Good handling but riding position didn't work for me even with bar risers and the engine, frankly, was "meh". I should also mention having to rip all that plastic body work off any time I wanted to do anything drove me bananas.

Rode a black S model at Sturgis demo ride in '00.  It had the compromise of being a tepid performer in an uncomfortable package.  

different story with new R1200 RS machine.  The water cooled bikes have some salt to them.  Whether I wanted to spend $20k on one is another issue.  Still doesn't have the handling feel of the Greenie.  

Not a replacement for my Sport but something that has my interest.  Ergos are similar to my Sport, perhaps even a little more upright in fact.  

About $13k w/o the Ohlins and $15k with.

Color_SS_1312S_2017_Studio_R_01_1067x600