V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

Someone tried to tell me Guzzi copied the green from the early Speed Triple. I had to remind them of where the Guzzi green came from and it wasn't from Triumph.

That being said the Triumph green was pretty similar and did come out earlier that the V11. But it's a triple and bit more hp. I wouldn't turn one down, especially in green.

113857triumphspeedtriple.jpg

I wish I could read Italian. About 40 pics into the first link http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19665it appears Mr Marabese had some influence in the design Speed Triple, among other bikes. Trying to find more evidence is tough, other than several instances stating - Marabese Design was hired by Triumph for work on the Speed Triple.

I like the bike, but never a fan of twin headlights.

I agree with those who say the R1100S is the main rival. I had them both. The BMW is a higher quality built machine imo, but lacked the character of the LM. Character is a huge piece of the whole for me. So bye bye R11S.

Even if you don't like the twin lights you have to admit they are iconic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Competition for the v11? It would have to be at least with bikes of that era... BMW R1100 and the RS, Maybe the Ducati 900ss, Kawasaki ZRX1100 maybe (though it would eat Guzzi) the Suzuki Bandit1200, etc...

I suppose you could define competition in terms of what was available at the time. But you could also look at it as what's available now for similar prices.

When I bought my Ducati Sport Classic I also looked at the Triumph Thruxton. I damn near bought a new Paul Smart version, but decided I liked the red better (what was I thinking?)

Sadly, at that time I was not thinking about Moto Guzzi. When I got my Scura it felt like what I wished the Ducati had been. Gave up a little handling for all-day comfort.

As for other V11 competitors I think the 1000cc and bigger Ducati Monsters should be considered. I really like the simple Ducati 1000DS motor. For a more complex engine we could consider the Aprilia Tuono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I know it's not really a V11 rival because it's so much newer, but have any of you ridden one of the new Thruxton 1200s yet?  I'm wondering how it's motor and handling compare to a well sorted V11.

triumph-thruxton-r-gear-patrol-slide-1-9

This will be my next "new" bike in a couple of years when the used prices are half of what they cost new.

I and the Mighty Scura were soundly spanked on the Snake by a guy on a Tuono. I wasn't used to seeing someone come up behind me, so pulled over and waved him on. He stopped at the Rock Store, so I did too, and shot the sh!t for an hour or so. He was a moto journalist on a test ride, and said that bike was crazy fast. The Mighty Scura is no slouch at low speed acceleration, but that sucker would just plain disappear.  :grin:

Wouldn't want one, though. If some electronic gizmo went haywire, I couldn't fix it, and no doubt that pimply faced kid at the dealer that cross threads your spark plugs couldn't either. :oldgit:

I and the Mighty Scura were soundly spanked on the Snake by a guy on a Tuono. I wasn't used to seeing someone come up behind me, so pulled over and waved him on. He stopped at the Rock Store, so I did too, and shot the sh!t for an hour or so. He was a moto journalist on a test ride, and said that bike was crazy fast. The Mighty Scura is no slouch at low speed acceleration, but that sucker would just plain disappear.  :grin:

Wouldn't want one, though. If some electronic gizmo went haywire, I couldn't fix it, and no doubt that pimply faced kid at the dealer that cross threads your spark plugs couldn't either. :oldgit:

With twice the horses it's not surprising...  :homer:

Even the old Tuono V twin was more than a match for my 1200 Bandit.  The new V4 must be an absolute rocket.  

Too bad they don't have a sport touring version with body work and bags.  Something in between the superbike and Tuono.  

Too bad they don't have a sport touring version with body work and bags.  Something in between the superbike and Tuono.  

Like the Aprilia Futura that didn't sell too well?  There's always the Honda 1200 Interceptor.