V11 Sport Rivals

swooshdave

That FJ09 is has a light size, factory bags and powerful triple but it's been been hit with an ugly stick. 

I won't even go into my Ducati rant.  But 15 bills for an SS is a tad steep.

That FJ09 is has a light size, factory bags and powerful triple but it's been been hit with an ugly stick. 

I had an FZ09 for a while, same basic bike as the FJ. Yes, ugly but a truly amazing engine.

I test rode the FZ when it came out.  Most disappointing motorcycle in memory, terrible suspension and worst throttle EVER!   Frame and engine were great.   I suppose I was let down by my expectations but no way would I ever get a gen 1 FZ.  Actually all those bikes are too ugly for my taste.

Too bad they don't make an FJ with good looks.   Still jonesin' for the SS.....

I had an FZ09 for a while, same basic bike as the FJ. Yes, ugly but a truly amazing engine.

I test rode the FZ when it came out.  Most disappointing motorcycle in memory, terrible suspension and worst throttle EVER!   Frame and engine were great.   I suppose I was let down by my expectations but no way would I ever get a gen 1 FZ.  Actually all those bikes are too ugly for my taste.

I think they fixed the throttle on later models.

I think they fixed the throttle on later models.

that's why I considered an FJ09.   But they are all ugly.  

That Urban GS is good looking. Although it's not got much in the way of suspension travel for off-road riding. The BMWs I have ridden do tend to wake up at high speeds. The GSA I recently rode in Germany felt pretty alive at 180kph on the autobahn - although it felt totally pedestrian at lower speeds. An aftermarket pipe can make a boxer motor bark. Now if we could add at least 4 more inches of suspension travel...

Here are three R Nine Ts at the factory-owned dealer in Munich, where I rented my GSA:

IMG_6801.jpg

This is, IMO, what the V11 series could have evolved into if it made the leap into the CARC era. Don't you sort of see a V11 CARC-Sport and V11 CARC-LeMans (but with sagging jugs) here?

• Like 1

I like old airheads, but I just don't think BMWs age well aesthetically in general. For example: K1, 100-1150GS' pretty much any of the "R" series post 1990, ahem R1200C. Although I do like R1200S' purposeful styling.

What will these RnineT bikes look like in 15 years?

I'm sure there are those that will say the Lenans IV,V haven't aged very well either.

Just my opinion, not that anyone asked....

• Like 1