Cheapest Mods in the world

swooshdave

Get ready to be surprised ! There is no tellin' what you will get .  I don't think I have seen the same hue , tint or whatever you want to call it on this color . Temp , sunlight , latitude , longitude , you name it dictates what color you end up with . Pull the seat and see what color the tank started as . 

Whatever paint color you get is whatever color you get . Live with it and appreciate it .

My issue is just that I’m looking at buying a greenie from a guy locally, through a strange fluke of fate, but it’s got bubbling paint on the tank. Guessing it’s from ethanol, but don’t know, just know that it will need attention. So, if I repaint the whole tank, will I be chasing the wind to try and find a good green match, or will I need to repaint all the green stuff to achieve decent match?

Docc, you note the green paint color match here.... I’m still poking around searching the forum, but is there knowledge on a good paint code option to match the green?  Trying to figure out how hard it will be to repaint just the tank on a greenie.

Looks like the ER4 may be well close enough to where I could paint the whole tank and end up with a winner.

here's an old thread about green. photos aren't convincing but he sounds convinced. definitely a lead to follow though. please post any results. I'm looking for a green bike and will likely need the same.

this makes complete sense as Guzzi already had the silver pieces

• Thanks 1

Hmm.  Sounds slightly less precise with some of the techniques and adjectives used, but given that it’s to match a 20+ yr old faded color, this could be good.

since the tank is the overwhelming majority of the visible paint color that’s seen, I should have a little more leeway, vs trying to find something for touch up. But of course if the touch up happens to be really dialed in, I could avoid the repaint, which would be a home run, but I’m not holding my breath.  My personal spray technique and skills would be fine for any typical  white paint, and maybe an “ER4” single color, but multi layered paints mean I’d likely want to farm-out the work to someone more gifted and/or experienced. 
But damn good intel... thank u!

• Like 2

I used Kapci paint, code 601 Verd metallic, with white base paint first.

Cheers tom.

• Like 2

You should consult with someone who can paint nylon , plastic or whatever it is before you go forward on this project . 

Personally , I would look into maybe buying another tank if the bubble matters that much .............

I haven’t seen the tank in person yet, but are we asserting here that the bubbling may be from an issue that’s more “evil” than just some surface issues, like maybe ethanol or something along those lines that could be compromising the tank from the inside?  
In short, should I be more deeply concerned about paint issues on one of these tanks?  
the machine has a lot of surface corrosion, mostly cosmetic from the pics, but it’s very low miles and price seems attractive, so am leaning toward taking the chance with it.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Gmc28 said:

My issue is just that I’m looking at buying a greenie from a guy locally, through a strange fluke of fate, but it’s got bubbling paint on the tank. Guessing it’s from ethanol, but don’t know, just know that it will need attention. So, if I repaint the whole tank, will I be chasing the wind to try and find a good green match, or will I need to repaint all the green stuff to achieve decent match?

You'll need to bead blast all the paint off and dry the tank out then preferable line the inside. The bead blasting leaves a really good finish for paint to adhere to but there are plastic primers for the task. Every car bumper is plastic these days. Its a pointless exercise patching a tank on a motorcycle as by the time you prep the tank for blending you've painted most of it anyway.

Personally I can't see a good painter having an issue matching the paint. I've got a belly pan and several side covers that have been re painted and they are all a very good match. 

Ciao

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

You'll need to bead blast all the paint off and dry the tank out then preferable line the inside. The bead blasting leaves a really good finish for paint to adhere to but there are plastic primers for the task. Every car bumper is plastic these days. Its a pointless exercise patching a tank on a motorcycle as by the time you prep the tank for blending you've painted most of it anyway.

Personally I can't see a good painter having an issue matching the paint. I've got a belly pan and several side covers that have been re painted and they are all a very good match. 

Ciao

Excellent. That’s more or less what I figured, that it’s a matter of either minor touch up, or full repaint. 

Have done the Caswell (sp?) lining on other tanks in the past, so assuming that’s a fine way to go.  And know a couple decent sources for bead blasting.  But what remains is the question of whether I’d spray it myself.  Comfortable enough spraying, but usually with a couple coats of same paint then some clear coats.  If it’s that ER4 paint noted, then I may do it, but if it’s layered colors I’d be hesitant.  Have a new HVLP sprayer to in theory replace my trusty but very old traditional Devilbis spray gun, but don’t have experience with that HVLP gun yet.

26 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Excellent. That’s more or less what I figured, that it’s a matter of either minor touch up, or full repaint. 

Have done the Caswell (sp?) lining on other tanks in the past, so assuming that’s a fine way to go.  And know a couple decent sources for bead blasting.  But what remains is the question of whether I’d spray it myself.  Comfortable enough spraying, but usually with a couple coats of same paint then some clear coats.  If it’s that ER4 paint noted, then I may do it, but if it’s layered colors I’d be hesitant.  Have a new HVLP sprayer to in theory replace my trusty but very old traditional Devilbis spray gun, but don’t have experience with that HVLP gun yet.

The expensive part of painting is the prep. I'm of the mind that if you can strip and prep it to the point of the colour and clear coat application then the cost should be reasonable. If you can find a painter that agrees with my logic.

Ciao 

Appreciate that Phil. 

But wait, you have an ST2?  I knew you had the 1000SS, but just saw the ST2 noted there. 

29 minutes ago, Gmc28 said:

Appreciate that Phil. 

But wait, you have an ST2?  I knew you had the 1000SS, but just saw the ST2 noted there. 

Not anymore I sold it a couple of years ago. Need any parts? cheap

Ciao

• 2 years later...
On 6/21/2023 at 6:52 PM, docc said:

Taking this thread back on topic . . .

When you can (if you will), @swooshdave, work your magic on mySport:

Le%20Mans%20Cafe%20Racer-002.JPG

IMG_8247.jpg

Gonna need to wait until I get home. :D

• Thanks 1