Tune up help

voycie

Hi All. My 03 V11 le mans runs nicely in general but is suffering from that occassional sneeze at idle...which can be enough to stall the engine, not great when your sat wating for the traffic lights to change. Its running Mistral end cans and PC3. I think it would benefit a proper tune up. Reading up advice on the forum seems theres some talented expertise among us. I am not fully confident or tooled up (yet). Is there anyone in London/home counties (im in Aylesbury) who knows their V11s and can help me get it running spot on. Happy to pay and watch and learn!9e202dc53495f4fb2900ded1e0f258c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

worse when warm? could be as simple as tight valves.. adjusting them is first on the tune up list so give it a go.

when you do find someone with the knowledge of Guzzidiag you can probably bin the Power commander.

• Like 1

There are a few videos on YouTube on how to adjust valves on Moto Guzzis.  I just stumbled across one the other day.  It was for a Norge but the process is the same.    With the valve covers off its easy to watch the engine go thru each cycle, Intake, Compression, Ignition, and Exhaust as the valves open and close. Set your valves at TDC.  Both valves will be completely closed and you will be able to wiggle the rocker arms, if you cant, the engine is not at TDC on the compression stroke.  the .006" Intake - .008" Exhaust seems to work best for most folks to eliminate the hiccup and stumble.  I always rotate the engine thru a couple cycles after setting the valve just to check my work.

Take your time, and dont be intimidated, its really quite easy.  Hope this helps.

Jerry 

Ok thanks for the advice. I think youre all right, slightly more noticeable when warm so could be a good start point. Previous owner mentioned he set the valves to raceco settings, not sure if that makes a difference

Also I was going to invest in the X-over pipe under the sump to replace the stock unit. Thinking the Mistral one to match the end cans. Is gutsibits in the UK the only option?

This is one of those questions that, over time, prompted me to divine the "Decent Tune-up" from so many years of so many people working at sorting out these issues.

It is a "baseline" that should be performed before changing cross-overs, adding "PC" devices, re-mapping, and the like.

Is it the end-all and be-all and final word? Not at all. But it is a solid, well derived starting point. I didn't make it up, but assembled the procedure as a compendium that should be approachable by most owners with a computer, a volt meter and some gumption.

Just add gumption! :luigi::rasta::drink:

• Like 2

big Plus ONE on replacing the stock crossover, my V11 ran so much better and totally got rid of the little hickup when cruising around 3-3500rpm.

What did you replace it with?

I'm running pro race end cans with the standard x over and would definitely recommend completing the decent tune up before making any changes. My bike responded well and even though it was good beforehand, It runs better than ever now. I'm pretty mechanically minded, but if your not then the instructions that docc has posted will make the job straightforward.

• Like 1

big Plus ONE on replacing the stock crossover, my V11 ran so much better and totally got rid of the little hickup when cruising around 3-3500rpm.

What did you replace it with?

Mistral

Ok thanks for the advice. I think youre all right, slightly more noticeable when warm so could be a good start point. Previous owner mentioned he set the valves to raceco settings, not sure if that makes a difference

Also I was going to invest in the X-over pipe under the sump to replace the stock unit. Thinking the Mistral one to match the end cans. Is gutsibits in the UK the only option?

Look at this http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11564&page=3 and scroll to the end of the page - I measured the Mistral X-over on the dyno and wouldn't use it on my bike. Except you do not care about a massive power loss above 5-6000 rpm. The Stucchi part is a much better device.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Ill start by setting the valves then gather up the stuff needed for the tune up. Keen to learn to do it myself!

Not sure where you are in the UK but if you want to bring the bike to me I will run through the valves and the TPS with you

Thanks guys. Ill start by setting the valves then gather up the stuff needed for the tune up. Keen to learn to do it myself!

Not sure where you are in the UK but if you want to bring the bike to me I will run through the valves and the TPS with you
Hi Steve thanks for the offer im in Bucks