Six months in on V11 ownership... my thoughts

voycie

Whilst recovering from a non fault accident late in Autumn last year, which destroyed my Speed triple, I started thinking about the next bike and decided to find the V11 I'd always fancied from my bucketlist of bikes.

I found a lovely looking Le Mans, although it was a slanted towards touring more than my taste required. It had 44k on the clock but the condition was stunning and it had clearly been cared for so no great concerns on the milage. I snapped it up and set to work making a few tweeks. I removed the tekno panniers and mounts, the rear MG rack. I also removed the rear fender, made a tail tidy and swapped out the rear light and all the indicators for quality led items. Gave everything a good polish up and she was ready to go!

From years riding multi cylinder bikes, at first the Guzzi feels lumpy, but soon becomes familiar and sets the character. It really does give the V11 personality. On the move it chugs along with a fantastic Mistral soundtrack - the best noise the V twin growl between gear changes. At first I thought the power was a little tame (having owned hayabusa, fazer 1000, aforementioned Triumph and so on) but then tried pinning the throttle wide open to the stop, and wow it really takes off, and remains that way through the gears and stays in that magical range where it has an entirely different personality to its cruising mode.

Handling is spot on too, mine has Ohlins rear shocker and whilst its clearly no outright sport machine, it tracks very predictably and without fuss. Very confidence inspiring. Im a countryside rider, and the Brembos pull it up quickly. Needed to try that a couple of times to miss local wildlife!

I love the looks. Classic, but modern. But not too modern. Fantastic build quality, and a lovely, deep finish. But, the best thing is this... it feels so individual and unique. Parked up next to dozens of modern generic sports bikes, it stands out for all the right reasons. Riding it just feels good. Its not the fastest, nor the most technical and its not particularly valuable, but theres something special about being perched on that low seat and stretching over that long tank. Its just a cool machine, a blast to ride and short of meeting up some of you guys here sometime, I cant imagine I'm EVER going to pass anyone else on one. How many Fireblade/GSXR riders can say that!

6683427a80bed12873c940178f7a8bf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Well said. Sounds like you found yourself a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I must agree with you.  It's an entertaining ride and despite owing high powered bikes, this one doesn't seem under powered, sorta just right.

It's like taking all of the good stuff from a Harley and putting it on a bike that is actually fun to ride.  Last weekend, on AZ-87's climb to the pass for Mt. Ord, got to run up the hill WOT in 6th for most of the climb.  That's some sweet visceral motorcycle riding right there.

And yes, I know there's a 5th gear, but it sounded so much more badass in 6th.