Six months in on V11 ownership... my thoughts

voycie

Simple answer - yes. The speed triple feels lighter, more flickable and generally easier to get the most out of its fantastic torquey 3 cylinder motor which in my opinion is one of my favourite road bike engines. The package is perfect for back road heroics. The V11 by comparison doesnt have the same low down torquey grunt (which is odd given its a V twin) of the Triumph, and requires a bit more work on the gearbox to get it really moving fast and staying in the zone. Handling wise the V11 feels rock solid and goes where you point it but doesnt have the same level of flickability. I find that I have to think ahead more with the V11 to set it up for a bend, and I am also more reluctant to pull off cheeky overtakes on the run up to bends which was daily activity on the Triple. However, I think I am more calm and considered on the V11 and can enjoy riding it at more sedate speeds, given I am still recovering from previous accident (not my fault!) thats no bad thing

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

You don't own the V11 because it does anything better. It doesn't .

You own it because it defines you.

You don't own the V11 because it does anything better. It doesn't .

You own it because it defines you.

:mg:

[That is poetic. An axiom of our existence   and character. :notworthy:

gstallons, you should make that your "signature" so we can be reminded of this everytime you post!]

• Like 2

I'm curious to know if the author of this post find the V11 more "difficult" to ride or at least awkwardly to drive on winding backroads compare to a smaller, lighter Speed Triple.

My felt like that in tight twisties until I got the suspension sorted: dropped the front and raised the rear, and increased rebound both ends. Much better. But it will never be an R1.

The V11 Sport/Lemans is not a sport bike but a Gran Turismo for gentlemen of a certain type. The mere mention of it stops conversation amongst discerning men....."you have a Moto Guzzi?"

Still the only bike I have ridden that gets the thumbs-up from both the Ducati and Harley-Davidson crowds....

• Like 1

I just got in from my Sunday ride on the twistys and had an experiance that fits with this thread.

Rolled through a small town, past the gas station where there were 2 Speed Triples refuelling. We nodded to each other. Bit further down the road I pulled off to water the shrubbery. The 2 Speed triples pulled up. They had never seen a Guzzi before, only read of them, but recognised the Griso as it went by.

Commenting on how they liked the Guzzi V engine sound they'd heard as I accelerated out of the town. They asked to hear it started up as we stood there. Grinning at the torque shake of the motor as your rev it, very different to the smooth triples.

I'm still enjoying my Guzzi's, it's like learning to dance. It takes practice but when you get into that rhythem it's soo good!

Yes there are faster but they do define, somewhat, to what you want from the riding experience.

The mere mention of it stops conversation amongst discerning men....."you have a Moto Guzzi?"

Funny. Brad and I were in the elevator of a fancy hotel and I had my Kentucky rally shirt on. A guy entered, and said, "Do you ride a Guzzi?" When I said sure, he said.. "*Seriously??" I thought maybe you just had a t shirt..  :grin:

Totally agree with all the comments. If I were riding behind a V11 Id be super keen to pull up alongside and ask questions. In fact id love to ride another bike behind mine (in trusted hands) to get a sense of what its lile to follow once it hits that 6k speed spot! It belongs in that category of rare, individual and unique bikes that piques attention from anyone who likes motorcycles, regardless of their own preference for cruisers, customs, sports etc...

Yeah.

At a typical biker hangout, you can see a line of new bikes, and the owners in their spotless leathers all standing around, discussing horsepower, active suspension, how Mark Marquez screwed up the last round of MotoGP, blah blah blah..BLAH.

The Guzzi pilot mounts his steed, turns the key, and stabs the starter, while the swaggering chatter grows fainter and more desperate. 

I like the gas pouring onto the ground right before ignition. 

And then he taxis away slowly, the entire crowd watching him in envy. It's kind of like that.

• Like 3

^^^^^

Yeah. I've gone to to the Indy "Euro bike night" and have seen the Panigales with inch and a half chicken strips..  :huh2:  :rolleyes:

I had Rosie (Rosso Corsa) to one, and a guy that had a nice newer MV  looked at me and said.. "There's the class of the whole bunch."   :) He didn't realize I was Rosie's keeper at the time.

You either get it or you don't.. :rasta:

• Like 3

One thing I find fiddly though is the horn switch, its where Im used to finding the indicator switch...a minor annoyance

Ha, that's because your bike is lying on its side.  :lol:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

6683427a80bed12873c940178f7a8bf3.jpg

How did I know from this photo that we were looking at a bike in the UK. I knew straight away that it was, maybe it's the tarmac, the grass is green not brown, the mud, the sunlight..the hedge..I don't know but i did  and I was right.

How did I know from this photo that we were looking at a bike in the UK. I knew straight away that it was, maybe it's the tarmac, the grass is green not brown, the mud, the sunlight..the hedge..I don't know but i did  and I was right.

It's parked on the "wrong" side of the road? :grin: Nice shot

Jerry

• 2 months later...

Seems you cant buy a v11 tail tidy off the shelf. This is for a yamaha YZF R125. It fits without any modifications aside from drilling for the stop/tail light. The issue is that once you remove the original item, you are left with a square hole in the standard undertray. I overcame this by machining a block which fitted to the original subframe mounts and sits perfectly flush in the hole. I sealed it with black silicone to keep out the spray off the tyre, then fitted the new tail tidy to the original frame mounts. I.e. the block is a large spacer. All can be demounted and returned to standard. I think it helps accenuate the nice rear hump of the v11, plus the standard lamp and indicators seem a bit aprilia parts bin and dont match the quality of the rest of the bike.

Any way you can be more specific on that tidy tail?  I did an online search and seems that there are a lot list for YZF R125.  Not sure but it looks like it might depend on model year?

Anyway, any help you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike