OK now I'm confused (as normal) about VIN

bbolesaz

So, your Scura has a KS VIN? Is your number #672?
=> Yes.

Are you saying Moto Guzzi changed to "KS" when the "LongFrame" was introduced with the additionally braced front subframe and lower rear subframe that connects forward to the bottom of the engine case
=> This was jut my thought – I have no facts about this. I had always thought, that “KR” = short frame, “KS” = long frame.

Maybe a KS frame doesn't have fuel pump mounting tabs
=> You mean the version, where the fuel pump was sideways at the front? I have never checked or noticed these...  I understand that all of the Scuras have the fuel pump outside the tank, but which location? There were three, I understand: under the tank, under the frame tube and sideways at the front. My #672 with the “KS” vin has the fuel pump under the frame tube (filter under the tank).

• 4 months later...

It seems that many 2003 Sport models were mechanically identical to the 2002 models. They'll have the pad on the gas tank, which is the easiest difference to notice. They may also have the textured paint on the engine and driveline, which was problematic on many bikes.

All the 2003 LeMans and special models (such as Nero Corsa) got the update with the internal fuel pump.

It seems that many 2003 Sport models were mechanically identical to the 2002 models. They'll have the pad on the gas tank, which is the easiest difference to notice. They may also have the textured paint on the engine and driveline, which was problematic on many bikes.

All the 2003 LeMans and special models (such as Nero Corsa) got the update with the internal fuel pump.

I see, I have read that there are some weird builds around this time.  The owner opted to have the cases replaced under recall so it will come without flaking paint.  I don't think I would have bought it otherwise.

Mine is a 2003 Sport w/the shi??y engine paint , white face gauges , chin pad & external fuel pump too. Don't worry about an exact model year ....None of us care about ours .

• 3 years later...
11 hours ago, footgoose said:

I have evidence showing '99-'01 is KRAK, my '02 is KRAK, my '03 is KTC0. where does KS come in?

5th character: KRAKR changed to KRAKS probably sometime in 2002.  AFAIK, no one has discerned exactly what the change indicates. If anything. Page one of this thread appears to demonstrate that most of the 2002 Scura (Long Frame) were KR, but there was one KS reported.

Our member @tommaso is asking about which might be correct for the Scura he is looking at in Italy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, docc said:

5th character: KRAKR changed to KRAKS probably sometime in 2002.  AFAIK, no one has discerned exactly what the change indicates. If anything. Page one of this thread appears to demonstrate that most of the 2002 Scura (Long Frame) were KR, but there was one KS reported.

Our member @tommaso is asking about which might be correct for the Scura he is looking at in Italy.

That's odd, the VIN on my '04 is, in part: KRAKEN" Anyone know about that? <_<