docc

H4 LED + other LED lighting

7 hours ago, luhbo said:

Yep. I feel safer when I ride as if I were invisible. Or as Docc correctly wrote: they pull out in front of 'full bright' fire trucks anyway. Besides that this attitude makes me feel as if I could safely  ride on in my dark riding gear: waxed muck over black Dainese leathers :)

That's the first thing I tell new riders. Pretend you are invisible. If you expect a car to slow down or swerve to miss you, you are seriously screwing up.

• Like 3

On 10/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, docc said:

Pretty sure the cheap Cinese LED unit needs replaced after 2 1/3 years and just over 10,000 miles/ 16.000 km. I see my lo-beam now looks brighter than the hi-beam. Not sure what's up, but time to open it up, have a look, and replace the cheap unit with the external driver with this from VintageCars:

VCm3-DualBulb-C-570x570.jpg

Not sure why, but this unit has hesitated to come on a few times at start-up for a moment or two. I am running power back through the two front relays instead of a dedicated power/ground, but I didn't see any other signs of relay failure. Just inspected the connections in the bucket and all seems fine. I decided to take an IR heat reading on the LED unit's base after three minutes on hi-beam. Hottest spots I found were 100ºF/ 38ºC. I thought that very acceptable.

On 12/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, docc said:

Not sure why, but this unit has hesitated to come on a few times at start-up for a moment or two. I am running power back through the two front relays instead of a dedicated power/ground, but I didn't see any other signs of relay failure. Just inspected the connections in the bucket and all seems fine. I decided to take an IR heat reading on the LED unit's base after three minutes on hi-beam. Hottest spots I found were 100ºF/ 38ºC. I thought that very acceptable.

Seems I have Starter Relay (#1) trouble after running the headlamp current back through the relay stack. Could be connectivity. Could be that even a High Current OMRON Best Relay will only last so long when it ain't "Livin' Easy."  Trying to figure out why my tach is not affected; something to do with the way the Speedhut is fed.

But it is definitely not the VintageCars LED unit failing.