H4 LED + other LED lighting

docc

Ah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! For me it’s worth it because I’m old and decrepit and my nighttime vision is lousy. Also I think that LED lights stand out more and increase the chance of cage drivers taking notice of us before they pull out

• Like 1

I haven't read every post on this thread but one advantage of LEDs is they have an onboard regulator set to about 9 Volts so if your wiring is a bit wimpy the lamp just allows for that.

I'm trying to find the lamp I used in my Griso, the fan is inside the reflector below the light source, they were cheap on fleabay like $30 a pair.

• Like 1

Got the LED H4 replacement installed today.  Sorry, but I hedged and bought only one just in case it didn't fit the EV.  It did fit the Sport, no problem.

So tonight I lined the EV with a 55wt H4 and the Sport with the LED and shined them on the garage wall.  No contest.  Much brighter, much whiter.  I think the LED only draws 40 wt.  Looks stock with the factory reflector and lens. 

Going to order one for the EV.

Thanks Docc.

Got the LED H4 replacement installed today.  Sorry, but I hedged and bought only one just in case it didn't fit the EV.  It did fit the Sport, no problem.

So tonight I lined the EV with a 55wt H4 and the Sport with the LED and shined them on the garage wall.  No contest.  Much brighter, much whiter.  I think the LED only draws 40 wt.  Looks stock with the factory reflector and lens. 

Thanks Docc.

Pictures!

Thanks Docc.

Pictures!

It crossed my mind when I posted it but I thought, screw it.

BTW- those little LEDs love to buzz like a bee from Mars. Why do they need fans when they run cooler and draw less current?

BTW- those little LEDs love to buzz like a bee from Mars. Why do they need fans when they run cooler and draw less current?

This is a good question!

This is a good question!

The fan is mentioned here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19941&page=2&do=findComment&comment=220873

The incandescent lamp is tolerant of the heat that it generates, and most of the 60-80 watts of heat leaves via the glass at the front.

A LED is a little solid state chip of silicon, and the 30-40 watts or so of power would destroy it if it wasn't bonded to a heatsink. It can't withstand its own heat without it, so the heatsink conducts heat away to the surrounding air. The heatsink without a fan would be large. Using a fan means the heat transfer to air is faster over the little fins, so a smaller surface area is needed on the heat sink.

There are options that don't need a fan, they are always larger, but don't have any moving parts. I fitted a LED lamp without a fan, believing that it will last longer (have you had a computer fan fail?) and so far I'm it happy with it.  

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18532&page=4&do=findComment&comment=209448

• Like 2

Thanks Marty.  I asked and you told us.

I can deal with a little buzz.  The LED headlight on my Bandit buzzes too. 

Tonight when I took the photos I thought the dang fuel pump was running continuously.  I had to turn the ignition switch on twice to hear BOTH buzzes (fuel pump & LED) to be sure.

The bulb on my 850-T has a fan. I wouldn’t call it a buzz and you can only hear it when the bike is in the garage and not running. Of course I can’t hear a blessed thing when the bike is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Marty, is there a failsafe circuit to prevent a total meltdown if the fan should stop working?