V11 Sport 2001 intermittent stalling

Tinus89

It wouldn't account for the slow cranking, but some symptoms do remind me of vapour lock ... stopping after a spirited ride, the sputtering and re-starting ok after allowing to cool down - although this would not normally happen whilst underway when there is good air-flow. Is there good clearance between fuel lines and cylinders?

I have seen a poorly functioning Relay#5 act exactly like this. Use a High Current Relay in this position. OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12/Z5645-ND/2755412

For goodness sake wire a small light to the petcock fuse and chassis tape it to the bars, that will eliminate 50% of the possible faults, that's all I am going to say.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19241&hl=go_winkie

Thanks for the responses!

Tonight I finally have time to take a look at it... My plan of attach is (open for comments!):

- Check for errors using GuzziDiag

- Check ignition lock wiring

- Remove fuel tank

- Check all wiring, special attention to main ground lead (measure resistance) and wires around regulator.

- Replace tank.

- Check all fuse box wiring on bottom

- Check all relay box wiring on bottom.

Any suggestions/additions before tonight?

Don't forget Czakky's comment about the key switch. The ignition switch soldered joints to the wiring can break, but still touch, making an intermittent connection. Vibrations could make or break the connection.

See:http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18953 and http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18606

Don't forget Czakky's comment about the key switch. The ignition switch soldered joints to the wiring can break, but still touch, making an intermittent connection. Vibrations could make or break the connection.

See:http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18953 and http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18606

Good point. Did not know there were so many owners with problems there! Added to my last post.

Tonight I finally have time to take a look at it... My plan of attach is (open for comments!):

- Check for errors using GuzziDiag  ---> DONE. Found one error: injection relay fault. Don't know how old it is though...

- Check ignition lock wiring    ----> DONE. No wire breaks, cleaned and re-greased the contacts.

- Remove fuel tank

- Check all wiring, special attention to main ground lead (measure resistance) and wires around regulator.

- Replace tank.

- Check all fuse box wiring on bottom ----> DONE. Nothing out of the ordinary.

- Check all relay box wiring on bottom.---> DONE. See below for comments

Ok, so I did the above which are commented, the rest will be done tomorrow.

I found one thing out of the ordinary with the relay boxes: one relay had clearly been hot on the contact, which leads to a thick black/red wire. It was the second from the tail of the bike for me, but you can easily swap the last two boxes around.

Does anyone know (based on the wire color) what relay that is?

Pic:

IMG_0435.jpg

- Check for errors using GuzziDiag  ---> DONE. Found one error: injection relay fault. Don't know how old it is though...

- Check ignition lock wiring    ----> DONE. No wire breaks, cleaned and re-greased the contacts.

- Remove fuel tank

- Replace tank.

- Check all fuse box wiring on bottom ----> DONE. Nothing out of the ordinary.

- Check all relay box wiring on bottom.---> DONE. See below for comments

Ok, so I did the above which are commented, the rest will be done tomorrow.

I found one thing out of the ordinary with the relay boxes: one relay had clearly been hot on the contact, which leads to a thick black/red wire. It was the second from the tail of the bike for me, but you can easily swap the last two boxes around.

Does anyone know (based on the wire color) what relay that is?

Pic:

IMG_0435.jpg

According to the drawing I have.. fuel pump.

What's the resting voltage on the battery? (I doesn't seem to take much of a drop to cause grief)

GuzziDiag said 12.44V yesterday with ignition on. I will check today with ignition off using a multimeter.

Hot terminals, now we are getting somewhere.

The only Red/Black wire I know is from the 87 contact of the headlight relay to the headlight Hi/Lo switch but that's relay No 2 it shouldn't cause stalling but would upset the battery charging. Wait a minute though if the battery Voltage goes too high the ECU will shut down but when the revs drop it picks up again

Chuck is correct the fuel pump wire is the same colour R-N in my manual, I never noticed that before.

Figure out which relay by which fuse is running to the 30 contact of that same relay, (the fuses are labeled) If it did happen to be the injection relay in a different position it would certainly explain the stalling Ignition coils, Injectors and fuel pump, like turning the key off.

Neither the Owners or the Workshop Manuals mention the relays, I guess they never give any trouble LOL perhaps try to arrange them in the order shown below, I think that's pretty standard.

Note: this drawing only applies to the early VIIs like my 01 I do not show any wire colours.

028TestPointLayoutV11Lemans_zpsebfce54b.

This might help you tighten the connectors

024RelayBaseRepair_zps9c0fca88.jpg

• Like 1

That's really low battery voltage, like 68%.

Ordinarily, the last relay, #5 at the very back, is the Fuel Injection/ignition relay that is most stressed and hottest. But, as you say,  it wouldn't take much for Luigi to have switched it with #4 which is for the ECU.

The Red/black is definitely the power to the Fuel pump/ injectors / and coils.

The Fuel Injection/Ignition relay is the one that really benefits from a true High Current relay (35 amp NO).

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19755&p=216605

Soooo.... I checked all wiring, special attention to the small ground from the regulator, all fine.

No connections stressed or something.

So, the only thing I have left is the sidestand switch I changed out. Might that be it?

Battery voltage using a multimeter is 12.67v.

My relays are these: http://dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

Also.... I found something else SERIOUSLY worrying: oil on top of my gearbox, near the known to crack support.

I am not 100% sure it is cracked, but cannot find any other source for the oil (which I have seen there before and cleaned off a number of times). Scratched the coating, this is the result:

IMG_0537.jpg

Have you eliminated the hot wire you found?

Sidestand switches are a pain, just to be sure jumper it out temporary

Poke a wire in 30 and 87 of the relay socket.

I hate to harp on but your Go Winkie light would have told you that

• Like 1

Soooo.... I checked all wiring, special attention to the small ground from the regulator, all fine.

No connections stressed or something.

So, the only thing I have left is the sidestand switch I changed out. Might that be it?

Battery voltage using a multimeter is 12.67v.

My relays are these: http://dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

Also.... I found something else SERIOUSLY worrying: oil on top of my gearbox, near the known to crack support.

I am not 100% sure it is cracked, but cannot find any other source for the oil (which I have seen there before and cleaned off a number of times). Scratched the coating, this is the result:

IMG_0537.jpg

I'm not even sure what we're looking at there. 

• Like 1

You have a Rosso? Pretty sure those have the extra frame support. Unlikely the trans case is cracked, probably the liquid gasket around the trans panels has given up. Mine has been weeping for years I'll get to it eventually.