V11 Sport 2001 intermittent stalling

Tinus89

Bad running + erratic tachometer often implicates Relay #2 (from the front), or it’s contacts. Early V11 also rely on the weak NC contacts of Relay #1. 

Sometimes, if swapping #3 and 4 for #1 and 2 improves the issues, failed relays are revealed.

26 minutes ago, docc said:

Bad running + erratic tachometer often implicates Relay #2 (from the front), or it’s contacts. Early V11 also rely on the weak NC contacts of Relay #1. 

Sometimes, if swapping #3 and 4 for #1 and 2 improves the issues, failed relays are revealed.

I've got to write all this relay troubleshooting down on a plasticised card and carry it on the bike.

Ciao 

• Like 2

Thanks Bbennett , Tomchri & Lucky Phil. Having read this thread I shoulda checked this first! I just checked battery: ign. off-12.98v; 1k rpm idle-12.72v; 3k rpm-14.22v ; 6k rpm-14.52v. 2 year old Optima PC 545 battery and connections were tight. 

• Like 1

Plasticine, we have that at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. If it turns out to be the rev counter I will remember that. Thanks Lucky Phil. At $280 for the sensor from Harper's I hope not, but, if that's what it takes. Sucks as I just tore down my Buell Ulysses to replace the fan and was counting on Sugar Plum (the Guzzi) to pick up the slack...now it looks like I'm gonna tear into her as well. Oh well...the 650R is up for it, lol.

4 minutes ago, docc said:

Battery checks out!  :thumbsup:

Relays next . . . especially #2 that powers the tach, but also:

I pulled all relays and #2 had a lil verdigris between base and relay, but,  not severe I thought. Cleaned said verdigris up and sprayed all fems with WD 40 & plugged back in. 30 amp fuse did show a lil heat, some slight distortion (bubbling) near top of fuse body. Replaced it with new. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tinknocker said:

A cream puff! :grin:

A Decent Tune-up will likely work some wonders even without connecting guzzidiag. If you have a voltmeter to baseline the TPS and a way to balance the throttle bodies, these are critical steps along with a fresh valve adjustment.

It gets my attention about the tachometer behavior, though. That is classic for a faulty #2 Relay. Swap in the #3 (middle) Relay. That is for the neutral switch and is lightly stressed. Best case is to source true High Current Relays, but they are hard to come by I hear.

FWIW, this link to onlinecomponents still shows the OMRON G8HE High Current relay in stock. Minimum order is ten, but that is one for every position and a set of extras (for your buds who didn't get the memo ;)):

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

Be sure to score a can of Caig DeOxit to spritz all your V11 contacts. She will love you back! :wub:

1 hour ago, Tinknocker said:

Plasticine, we have that at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. If it turns out to be the rev counter I will remember that. Thanks Lucky Phil. At $280 for the sensor from Harper's I hope not, but, if that's what it takes. Sucks as I just tore down my Buell Ulysses to replace the fan and was counting on Sugar Plum (the Guzzi) to pick up the slack...now it looks like I'm gonna tear into her as well. Oh well...the 650R is up for it, lol.

I bought two about a year ago from China at $15US each. Seems to work fine on the Daytona engine and the quality looked good.

Ciao

Thanks Docc, she is a cream puff. Picked her up 5 years ago with 12.5k in York Pa off a cool old Millwright. I just received a Motion Pro carb synch tool that I think should help, and have a Fluke DMM to measure tps. I will swap #3 to #2. They are Siemens A1001-A402's. I will check on the Omrons, thanks.

• Like 1

Craig Deoxit... I have heard about that in a couple forums. Looks like Amazon has it. Another item to add to my list. Great grief, between the Uly and sugar plum I have spent  probably more than $1,500 on just upkeep stuff recently. Keep putting off the D&D exhaust and ECU, I wanna hear the Uly roar like the Guzzi with Staintune, lol.

Swapped # 2 & 3 relays and went for a short 5 mile spin. Seems to be running normal now, but it's much cooler at 11pm in Ohio. I'm thinking that I siphoned old gas out in April and refilled with new, but, I have CRS syndrome. Maybe I'll siphon it now and put new in just to be sure.

• Like 1

DeOxit is magic in a can. Trust me on this. Your Siemans relays are OEM, and known to fail. I have a drawer full of them that I've replaced on Guzzis. Get some good relays, take apart electrical connections, squirt some DeOxit on them, insert, wiggle around.. oh you know.. :rasta: do a tuneup, and you'll be good to go.

Welcome to the best place on Earth if you have a V11S, btw..

• Like 2

OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12 DC 40A, 12V High Current Automotive Relay
5.0 out of 5 stars.
(11)
11 product ratings
Brand New
$10.80
Buy It Now
FAST 'N FREE
Guaranteed by Thu, Jul. 9
Save up to 12% when you buy more

Is this the right one? It has "R1" in part # whereas Docc's link is "R" only? Also, I seem to remember reading that #1 relay has 1 more pin than #2&3, but, that #1 will work for all 3. Is that correct? They don't have results for G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12. Thanks Chuck, Deoxit "A/V" kit in cart.