battery > charger < mis-step

docc

The EnerSys charger finally floated the PC545 at 13.54 volts. :thumbsup:

It took several cycles of discharge and charge.

I do wonder if I had disconnected the battery (negative) before messing around with the gauge wiring if the battery would have fared better . . .  :huh2:

The EnerSys charger finally floated the PC545 at 13.54 volts. :thumbsup:

It took several cycles of discharge and charge.

I do wonder if I had disconnected the battery (negative) before messing around with the gauge wiring if the battery would have fared better . . .  :huh2:

Batteries are like lawnmowers docc, they defy all logic are annoying and the more you f*ck with them the more painfull they are.

With the amount of vehicles I have I seem to be forever buying one of the little b*stards

Ciao

• Like 1

So, does it hold any water that the fact I left the battery connected while I worked on the wiring for the tach and speedo? I mean, they're on the other side of switches and relays.

Could that, alone, have contributed to running the battery down excessively?

[FWIW, the PC545 is holding 12.83v (@~72ºF/22ºC )"Open Current Voltage" with the Garmin Zumo in the mount *charging* and the "Hot Start" wire for the Speedhut connected.]

I found the problem. It was not the PC545 or anything I did. Broken wire at the connector for the charger.

gallery_328_223_344220.jpeg

• Like 1

did you find a connector & repair it ?

I need to source an SAE connector and repair the adapter. In the meantime, I'm plugging the charger directly into my fused accessory connector on the bikes. That might be a better method regardless.

SAE connector ?

If it is the connector you are holding , you can get them at a good (old) electronics store .

Yes. And: yes, we actually have one of those here. They have helped me immensely with all of the wiring projects I have foisted upon my Guzzi. Looks like an LED headlamp unit could be next . . .

I've been reluctant to plug the 6 amp charger into my SAE accessory connectors. I have long opted to clamp the charger to the battery terminals. It's the connector on the adapter cable that failed. The accessory connectors are fused for 10 amps, so they should be fine to use for this 6 amp charger.

Finding the actual fault is quite a relief, of course. Because of all the Brain Salad Surgery on the Sport's instruments, I simply assumed I had screwed something up and injured the battery.IMG_2001.JPG.jpeg

Brain Salad Surgery should always be approached in right frame of mind and total dedication to the outcome . . .

I have this pigtail on my bike wired directly to the battery and tied off close to the swingarm / brake pedal area so In don't have to remove or disconnect anything to charge the battery . since I haven't ridden in two years I need some thrill , even if it is to pull back the blanket and charge the battery .

Made up a really solid, 10 amp fused, connection cable for the charger. The one that came with it was (obviously) crap.

gallery_328_223_894907.jpeg