Broken Shift Lever

Shiny Mike

I'm looking for the bolt that goes from the spline to the the shifter.Mine broke.It's pot metal.I'd buy yours or if you can tell me where I can get one ASAP that would be great. Thanks Shiny Mike 440 623 3356.

[ edit: I ordered it from the dealer.Hold on to your hats! 134.00 plus tax = 140.40 out the door! ]

The "shift lever" that clamps itself to the gearbox itself:

(#11 in the parts diagram, pg 41:    01256930  )

gallery_328_223_304091.jpeg

I'm hoping you guys can help Shiny Mike figure out what this shifter is (it's not factory). We'll probably need a couple more pictures and I don't have them.

I've never seen that shift lever break.

That break is not too surprising. That's some kind of aftermarket shifter that I bet also lowers the pegs. The arm that goes on the transmission input shaft is rotated down to accommodate the out-board linkage. The long bolt seems to put an undue twisting stress on the arm.

The original linkage makes a direct connection to the arm - and it's all in-board (inside the porkchops - aka stilettos).

• Like 1

Yhis one pic we are looking at is way off on everything. My lever that is on the shift shaft ( if I remember ) is pointing at about 1 o'clock position . and the rod attatches directly to it. This mess that is on Mike's is going to break EVERY time .

I wonder if that bolt extension hits the lower leading edge of the porkchop (stilletto) during downshifts - or if the arm contacts the subframe? That would break it off in a hurry.

Hey Mike - It turns out that I have an extra one of those levers, which I would sell for way less than the dealer price. Send me PM if you're interested.

That's a Motobits kit and it's known weakness is that it puts too much torque on the stock shifter arm.  I replaced mine after I had maybe 12k miles on it and the shifter arm was starting to crack.  Last winter I had the cracks on the old part welded and had some plates welded to the sides of it too.  It's installed now and I don't expect that it will ever be a problem again.

I think I paid about $30 for that part a few years ago?

Here's a pic of my beefed up part next to the stock one.

shifter arm.jpg

• Like 1

Ok.Ill post more pictures.

Tom M said he got 12k out of his shifter.My bike has 12 on it now. The P.O. said that all the after market on the bike was on it before he bought it in 2006 with 2000 miles on it. I would guess the shifter was put on just after the first owner bought it.

I have the stock shifter and pegs. The after market a good 1.5 to 2 inches away from the bike. With my size 14 shoe I think I'm going to leave the after market on it.I'm going to have the part in question made out of billet I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,so with the help of some very cool people here on the forum I did get the part I needed.Only problem is there is a bigger problem.After installing the shift lever I find out it wont shift!! I'm guessing its the return spring.I understand that this  is a weak spot.I cant find here on the forum on what must be done to change the spring.If that is not the problem I would guess it's a real tranny issue.

I starting to wonder what I got myself in for. My first post on here was about buying my first MG. A little more detail on that. It's the second one I paid for!! The first was a scam on oddle. This happened this spring. The Lemans was at Port Galvenson Texas.The whole thing was a very well put together SCAM. I'm out 3800.00! The FBI is trying to catch the bad guys.I'm out the 3800.00 though.

So lets recap.Buy a Guzzi  get ripped out of 3800. OK life happens,I put that behind me. Buy a beauty of MG here on the forum. Drive it home,it runs great! I'm soooo happy. Ride back and forth to work a few times.The little shifter thing goes south.OK, I get with the Guzzi dealer.He tells me a 20 dollar part cost 140.00 and I can't have it. OK I get the part.put it on and now it's a 8 dollar spring!! Comon!! Anyone in the market for a beautiful Lemans? It sounds great!! Just dont ride it.LOL

I just put one of those springs in this weekend. Took me about 3 hours, including dry time for the adhesive. I never had one fail before, as I have pre-emptively replaced them. Ironically, my pre-emptive replacement broke within a couple thousand miles. 

Here's a thread with a lot of detail on the shift pre-selector and how to replace the spring - and a lot more fine-tuning if you are so motivated.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19547

And yeah, the spring is a known weak spot, but failures aren't that frequent. I was VERY surprised (and kind of pissed) about mine breaking so soon.